(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧) race against time

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

IT WAS AN HOUR BEFORE anyone walked up to the apartment. For the entirety of this time, Este had been sat wringing her hands and taking her rings on and off for something to do. She jumped hearing the faintest of noises, losing herself in the stories of next doors arguments.

Everything about this seemed incredibly messed up. Este counted to a hundred and back down again, drew shapes on the walls with her eyes as she copied patterns of dust into the back of her mind. Then she'd start all over again, anything to stop herself from picturing the worst.

Death, fire, breaking. It revolved in her mind like a merry go round of flashing lights only without the winding music and joyous laughter. It was making her feel sick. Este didn't like sitting here doing nothing. Her phone was tight in hand but the flight from New York to Washington was over an hour and Alice had to get between airports. There definitely wasn't an airport in Forks, that was for sure.

As soon as she heard the three voices carrying up stairs, Este got out of her seat and stared expectantly at the door. Even when her mind was elsewhere, she could see the shapes of stained memory glistening over the white front door as though she had front row seats in a cinema.

The door opened, Jasper led the way followed by Rosalie and Emmett. Usually when her kids returned together in a sense of reunion, Este wouldn't feel a bitter panic or great sadness but now she felt both. She had no idea what was going to happen, what was going to come of this. It scared her.

"I thought it was quiet, where's Alice?" Jasper asked, looking around even though he already knew that if Alice had been within the apartment she'd have run to greet him by now.

With all the jumbled mess of her mind, Este hadn't laid herself some time to come up with a story. This was stupid, she should have been prepared. Usually her brain worked in a very rational way. Este was quick thinking and smart about the words she used. It's what helped her be so charming on command but now she could feel eyes on her in places that physically couldn't stare. The walls seemed closer together and the lights danced around until they merged to form a spotlight rather than the dull overhead lighting she was used to. Rosalie frowned.

"She'll be back soon" Este replied quickly. She tried as best she could to calm her breathing but without Carlisle there she had never been good at staying calm. Her dramatic walk out quitting scene had been enough proof of that.

"Yeah but where is she?" Emmett laughed. He was the only one to still seem unbothered by the missing figure in their living room. Rosalie looked concerned, Jasper way too questioning. Both knew something was wrong, Este couldn't find a career in acting that was for sure.

"It's a surprise" Este shrugged.

"What's happened?"

"She told me not to say anything" Este sighed, "but I'm really freaking out!"