(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲) memories

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

ESTE WALKED INTO THE HOUSE TO HEAR the usual shushed arguments and annoyed words of the Cullen siblings. They were all upstairs in the living room, messing around as usual while Alice talked in an annoyed and impatient voice as though orchestrating something.

She wasn't sure what they were up to but it wasn't unusual in the Cullen household for Alice to be bossing everyone around in order to get something done. Este placed her bag on the table in the entrance room, presuming they weren't aware that she was home yet as she paced up the stairs.

"No you need to lift the corner more" Alice stated loudly.

"Alice I am limiting the corner more" Jasper replied as calmly as he could manage.

"No you're not—"

"Are you sure she'll even appreciate this" Rosalie interrupted Alice, "I mean... maybe she'd rather we didn't make a big deal over what she said"

Este paused as she made it to the top of the stairs. There was one clear way she could see this going, they were going to confront her about what she'd spoken about in the car. So far, she'd only spoken about it to Carlisle and then to Edward. Rosalie was right, Este didn't want to have to explain herself again. Were they annoyed at her? Guilted by her words?

She stood frozen, listening to their continued conversation as she made a perfectly silent effort at standing still.

"I've seen it" Alice told Rosalie as though this was obvious, "she'll be happy about it"

Este frowned, surely Alice wouldn't assume that Este would be happy at her children's upset. However they didn't sound too upset. Maybe she was wrong again, Este was becoming used to her swirling emotions giving her the wrong impression.

"If you say so" Emmett sighed, "Alice can I put this down yet?"

"No!" Alice exclaimed, "because you're not lifting it high enough"

"You lift it then!"

"What are you doing?" Este moved in front of the door now, leaning against the frame as she stared in to the living room. Alice jumped, Rosalie smiled and Jasper and Emmett dropped whatever they'd been holding. What looked like a bed sheet fell to the floor in a crumpled heap. Este frowned even more at this.

"You're not supposed to be here!" Alice yelled in surprise, "not for another three hours"

"Sorry" Este laughed, "there wasn't much more for me to do there. I spoke to Bella and then I left. Edward won't leave her side of course and the Arizona doctors have practically recruited Carlisle into their ranks so... it's just me... what are you doing?"

"Surprising you" Rosalie grinned, "but it seems you ended up surprising us"

"Surprising?" Este raised her eyebrows as she stared at the crumpled sheet on the floor, "go on then... do surprise me"