(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞) competition in disguise

can't be bothered
to find a gif

✧✧✧

ESTE WATCHED AS EMMETT WENT FLYING through the air, colliding with the floor with a large curse as dried mud and dust seemed to flurry into the air alongside him. Jasper stood victorious with a small smile on his face as he collected himself to full stance again.

The rest of the Cullens had been stood around watching. They were supposed to be learning, discovering tactics but really they were just being competitive. Until the wolves arrived they were just messing around practicing.

Este watched as Rosalie subtly passed Alice a couple of folded up dollars. Alice took it with a smile on her face, that was another clear reason for the early fights. The Cullens loved to place bets. Este was not one of them, she would not bet on her own children. Obviously Rosalie had bet on Emmett although it seemed obvious that Jasper was the best at these fights.

"Again!" Emmett yelled as he got to his feet. One thing about Emmett was that he hated losing.

However before Jasper could say anything else on the matter, there was the sound of skidding tyres. All six of the Cullens turned to see Emmett's large jeep pulling into the clearing embedded deep in the woods. The tyres easily drifted over the bumpy terrain before it jerked to a halt.

Edward jumped out the drivers side of the vehicle, Bella more calmly from the side. Este was unsure what she was doing here. Bella would have no part in the fight against the new borns even if it was centred around her. She supposed the girl simply wanted to watch, keep an eye on the new alliance between the vampires and wolves.

Edward stepped immediately to take Bella's hand, as he did so he grabbed her wrist, his thumb running over a bracelet she wore there. Este watched as he lifted her hand up to meet the sunlight spilling through the leaves of the perfectly green trees. Attached to the bracelet was a wooden charm, a small wolf. Este scoffed silently. The noise was mainly in her mind.

As though the wolves had been spoken into existence, Este heard the disturbance of wildlife somewhere behind the small hill housing more trees. A group of wolves stepped out. More than Este had known there to be. She counted seven. Their coats gleamed in the light. Some were grey, others brown and one deep ebony.

"They don't trust us enough to be in their human forms" Edward murmured to Carlisle as he and Bella made their way over.

"They came. That's what matters" Carlisle spoke, reasonable as ever. "Will you translate?"

Edward nodded lightly as he and his father stepped away from the family and instead paced towards the wolves. A couple of them growled softly as the two vampires approached. Este rolled her eyes, they were here to help not to be dramatic.

Carlisle stepped a good distance away. The deep ebony wolf took a step forwards. It was clear that he was the leader, the others all looked to him as though expecting instruction.

"Welcome." Carlisle spoke directly to the wolves "Jasper has experience with newborns. He'll teach us how to defeat them"

There was quiet for a moment as the ebony wolf looked towards Edward, eyes narrowed. It was clear that none of the wolves thought lightly to one of the vampires being able to read into their minds. Some looked around shiftily, others glared with their gazes. It had been their choice to show up unable to commune however.

"They want to know how the newborns differ from us" Edward turned to Carlisle.

"They're a great deal stronger than us because their own human blood lingers in their tissues" Carlisle explained, raising his voice ever so slightly. "Our kind is never more physically powerful than in our first several months of this life"