(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧) the fool

imagine a gif
of Edward getting
set on fire or something

✧✧✧

EDWARD WAS VERY RARELY HOME. He stayed with Bella without the knowledge of Charlie Swan. During the day he was in school again, catching up on the work he had supposedly missed. At night he lay in comfort next to the girl he loved, watching over her as though an invisible force was going to steal her away.

Este was glad that he'd managed to straighten out disaster. She had completely hated his decision to leave Bella for a lot of very obvious reasons. No where in Este's mind could she believe it had been a good idea. She should've known that eventually he would realise he couldn't be apart from Bella.

On their fifth day back at Forks, things were getting easier. Este had been to the school and they'd agreed to give her the job back, much to her surprise. It turned out that the supply teachers they'd been using were not very good at all. Grades had been slipping, teachers panicking. They were grateful to have her back. In fact, this changed the whole perspective of Este. Now the teachers weren't giving her snide glares and talking behind her back. In fact, they were being kind

Este had soon realised however that if she wanted to talk to Edward, she was going to have to go find him herself. Whether Edward was staying away simply under the perception that Este didn't want to talk to him or whether he genuinely felt the same, she wasn't sure.

It was all stressing her out too much. Edward was never home, his room lay waiting for his return and the house felt weirdly empty even with the loud noises of everyone else inside of it.

Of course Este was angry. The way Edward had talked to her, deliberately toyed with the idea of her anxiety because of his own bitter annoyance and the way he'd been so reckless and ignorant, she was completely pissed off. It was hard for her to retain the composure of a mother. Este wasn't inherently forgiving.

Over the decade she'd lived with the Cullens, she'd found that this unconditional love seeped more into her behaviour. She would always love the Cullens regardless of what they did but that didn't mean that Edward's actions hadn't hurt. Este didn't understand why he acted the way he did, not anymore. She was confused, hurt and weirdly alone.

She felt she couldn't properly talk to Carlisle about it all. He was too forgiving for his own good. Edward could probably send them up in flames and he'd see the good in his son. It did annoy her to a certain extent but she agreed it was admirable. Yet she would never be like that. Edward had never wronged Carlisle the way he had Este and she realised he never would. The perceptions were too different.

Este didn't know how talking to Edward was going to go. She was unsure how he would react. Carlisle had told her that he wouldn't argue, that he was sorry. She'd heard this before, after the events of Arizona. She'd forgiven him then for the way he'd treated her, they'd moved on. Same in Colorado. Este was unsure how many times she could keep going through this whirlwind of nightmares.

She walked to Bella's house at two in the morning, letting the night touch her skin as she took the path through the trees. Este was well aware that Edward wouldn't like leaving Bella even when the girl was deep in slumber, she simply hoped he'd take the opportunity to speak to her.

Este stood at the break of trees, her arms folded as she stared at the window towards the left of the house. Curtains were drawn, a light purple shaded by the darkness. She wondered how aware Edward was to what was happening outside. Was he already tuned to her thoughts or did she need to make her presence clear.

Her question was answered mere moments later, the curtains opened slightly and she saw him standing there. His skin looked ghostly in the light of the moon, his features shaded. He looked at her in curiosity but Este didn't give him much to understand. He should know why she'd be there. She was bored of Edward being one step ahead.