(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞) collection of mugs

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

ESTE AND CARLISLE WERE YET AGAIN alone in the house. She was surprised by how much that had been happening as of late. In the past she'd occasionally been desperate to get the kids out of the house even if this was simply for a few hours.

Technically they weren't completely alone. Rosalie and Emmett were somewhere around the back of the house pacing through the trees. They were too far away from home to be heard.

Este was lain across the sofa, her head on Carlisle's lap as she held a book above her eyes. She skimmed the words carefully with her gaze, tracing back and forwards with great swiftness. Carlisle had the television playing in the background. He wanted to know more about what was happening in Seattle.

They'd looked over the files for a very long time but they hadn't necessarily confirmed anything they didn't already know. Este and Carlisle had been positive it was the work of vampires. So much so that the idea that they'd gone all the way to Settle to prove this seemed ridiculous.

It hadn't helped Este, seeing the pictures of the bodies. Carlisle was immune to this kind of thing. He lay the photos out on the counter in front of them as though analysing holiday pictures. Este had to look away slightly. Bodies drained off blood were strangely grey, eyes almost colourless. She had seen it before of course, done it before. Maybe that's why she found it so difficult to look at.

There had only been five positive killings so far which meant they were good at hiding their tracks. To keep new born vampires fed they would require more than five bodies. The disappearances were off the scale. It was hard to tell whether those missing were simply added to the diet of a vampire or whether they had been taken into the ranks. This made it all the more difficult to understand how big this army really was. Based on those missing, the Cullens didn't stand a chance.

Este had been trying not to think about it. Danger was always on her mind even if wasn't in their immediate path. This meant that pushing it to the back of her mind wasn't doing much. Even as her eyes traced over the words she read on the paper in front of her, her mind was still elsewhere. She had to keep stopping and retracing her steps in order to understand what it was she were reading.

She could hear the radio playing lightly behind the two of them, sat on the table beside the door to the living room. The overlapping noise of the television and the radio was rather annoying to listen to. It was difficult to concentrate on either but Este supposed that was the point.

They didn't really want to be hearing about what was happening in Seattle. Carlisle was calmly reading the words that appeared on the screen but the radio was a distraction. His was of stopping Este from properly tuning in. She heard the occasional word of death and disaster but she was grateful to slip off into her own world.