(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧) geraldine

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

ESTE WAS GRATEFUL TO BE ABLE to fall back into the routine of regularity. After the school trip, she went back to teaching as she usually would. Lessons went by like clockwork and for a little while she managed to wipe away any idea of Bella from her mind.

The girl returned to sitting quietly at the back of lessons, barely saying a word as she wrote notes swiftly down on lined paper. Este hadn't seen or heard her anywhere near Edward. There'd been a couple more days of sun after the trip which had moved him out of her way, since then he'd been giving biology class a wide berth with the help of Este's hand written notes

Este knew that sooner or later something would happen. After all, Alice's vision hadn't changed. Bella was just as determined to learn the truth about Edward as she had been after the accident and he definitely hadn't helped that fact.

Luckily there was too much talk flying around about the prom to leave room for any other rumours to spread. As far as Este could tell, Bella hadn't said anything about the situation. Este presumed that she wouldn't. Edward had been right even if his words had been unwanted. No one would believe her.

Anyway, she didn't need belief. Bella just wanted the answer for herself. She wanted to know why she was still alive. It was certainly reasonable. She deserved an answer, unfortunately the truth was just impossible to give.

For now they'd just have to ignore Bella as much as possible. For the rest of the Cullens this was as simple as clockwork. Este couldn't exactly avoid her since she appeared in her classroom everyday but she did her best to avoid the girls callous stares and get on with her work as usual. Este didn't like how Bella stared at her, as though Este had become a villain in her eyes. Bella was so kind, sweet... the expression didn't suit her and Este couldn't help but feel guilty. Even if her actions had been completely called for.

Este knew that the others didn't believe Edward would be able to stay away from Bella. They had different attitudes on this. Emmett found it all very amusing, Jasper thought it dramatic. Alice hoped that Edward did break and talk to Bella again, Rosalie was the complete opposite as usual. Surprisingly Este wasn't entirely sure of Carlisle's standing, she hadn't been given the chance to talk to him about it.

Personally, she sided with Rosalie. Whether it angered her as much or not, she didn't like the risk that swirled the whole drama. She didn't loathe Bella and she would continue to protect her from the unknown dangers hiding in her path. She didn't blame Edward like Rose did but she was also against the idea of Alice's vision. She couldn't see a way that this would change

✧✧✧

Este had stayed late again at work, later than she had intended. By the time she eventually looked away from her work and stared at the clock it was nearing half seven. She sighed, placing her head between her hands. Este was sick of feeling so wary yet being unable to do anything about it. It was as though her mind was becoming heavy.