(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞) another tribulation

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

BY THE TIME THAT ESTE HAD WALKED BACK TO THE HOUSE, Edward and Bella had gone. Este supposed that he must've seen the girl safely home by this point but for whatever reason he was staying away. Este didn't mind, she didn't think she wanted to see him at that moment.

Alice and Jasper were upstairs in their room, Jasper was still audibly upset, Alice trying and failing to calm him down. Rosalie and Emmett were gone, probably to Seattle for the night. Este couldn't blame them, she didn't want to be there much either.

As she walked up the stairs in the house she was greeted with the strong smell of bleach. Carlisle was making sure all traces of blood were gone, she leant on the door frame watching him as he cleaned every spec of floor that had been touched by the scent.

Carlisle had his sleeves rolled up now, the formality of his appearance gone. He'd discarded his tie on the sofa, even his hair looked slightly disheveled. He seemed annoyed, his face in a permanent frown, eyes filled with concentration. He didn't even notice Este standing in the doorway.

"You missed a spot" Este smiled gently. He looked up in surprise, the confused expression wiped from his face as he saw her standing there.

"Stella" he breathed a sigh of relief, dropping what he'd been doing as he walked over to her. He didn't say anything else, he just pulled her close to him, wrapping his arms around her waist as he pressed a kiss to her shoulder. Este held him in return, appreciating the comfort. She was still alive with the thoughts of everything that had happened. Este heard Jasper yell from upstairs, something about leaving. Este sighed as she buried her face into Carlisle's neck.

"I knew this would happen" Este murmured, "that she would divide us"

"It hasn't happened yet" Carlisle reasoned as he ran his hand over her hair.

"Don't kid yourself Carlisle" Este laughed coldly, "didn't you hear Edward?"

"He wasn't thinking" Carlisle sounded very bitter at the remembrance of his sons words, "he was completely out of order... I told him that"

"It won't matter" Este smiled as she moved her head away from Carlisle, her arms still around him, "Edward's worries have just been confirmed, if he doesn't get himself pulled together soon then this is all going to end in an argument"

"Did we make the right decision?" Carlisle asked gently as he moved her hair away from her face, "should we have left, when it started?"

"It was too uncertain" Este shrugged, "but it's not worth thinking about now, we'll have to talk about this, whenever Edward, Emmett and Rosalie decide to come back"

"They'll not be away long" Carlisle replied with a certain amount of certainty. "How are you? I know you were upset after what Edward said you don't need to deny it"