(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞) bitter end

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

"HE'S A TRACKER" Edward turned to Carlisle as soon as the other three Vampires were away from the clearing.

"Edward get Bella out of here, now!" Este called, her mind going into overdrive, "Emmett, Alice go with them. We'll need to track James' decisions. Rose, Jasper you need to go back to the house and wait there... Carlisle go with them—"

"Slow down" Jasper frowned.

"No" Este shook her head, "Edward go!"

Edward nodded, grabbing Bella's arm and pulling her towards him as they turned and ran towards the jeep. Emmett and Alice followed.

"Where are you going?" Carlisle asked knowingly.

"Find Laurent" Este was breathing quickly, "he isn't in control of them and I already know that James is going to be a problem regardless but I need to talk to him—"

"He's still with them!" Rosalie pointed out, "bringing more attention will only make James want Bella more"

"He isn't still with them" Este turned, "he wants to talk to me, I could see it"

"Stella!" Carlisle called anxiously after her,

"I'll meet you back at the house!" Este yelled back as she made it to the trees. Straight away she broke into a run. Twigs snapped beneath her feet as she pushed branches out of her way, crunching against leaves. Nature got tangled in her hair as she took paths that humans wouldn't wish to cross. She jumped easily over stumps and ducked under low hanging trees. Este pushed her way past the overgrowth, her jeans staining green and catching on the small thorns and brambles.

However she wouldn't stop until she found him. Este slowed to a jog in order to utilise her senses again. There was growing panic inside her mind. Este felt as though she were drowning in it. How could they be so careless? They knew the three vampires were still close by. They knew that Bella was susceptible to curiosity and amazement. A prize, a competition. And vampires loved competition.

She heard footsteps to her left. Este turned and ran fast again. Plans were vanishing in her mind. Every one seemed to end in fire, blood and death. There had to be a way around this. Este kept seeing the eyes of Bella blinking at her, scarlet red. That wasn't the way.

Este rounded a corner only to collide with the figure standing waiting for her. Laurent caught her shoulders and pushed her to a halt. She stumbled back but was ultimately relieved that she'd found him.

"I'm so sorry" he said immediately, "James is the leader, there's nothing I can do—"

"I know" Este nodded, slightly breathless but from worry not from running, "come back to the house, I need you to talk to Carlisle. He'll be better at coming up with a plan, I need his clear mind Laurent because right now mine is all over the place"