(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞) either way

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

EDWARD RETURNED IN LESS THAN AN HOUR. Este heard the slamming of the car door, Rosalie evidently unhappy about the excursion. Neither of them came to see her which meant that Este could get on with teaching.

Neither Bella nor Tyler came back but Este had expected that. She didn't hear from Carlisle but she knew he didn't like texting so this could be expected. She tried not to become distracted with the thoughts in her mind as she continued teaching the lesson however she was finding this all very difficult.

First of all was the obvious. Edward had exposed himself to a human. Bella had seen Edward run across the lot, she'd been aware of what had happened. Este could see it in her expression, the way she'd stared at the dent in the side of the car, the way she'd looked at Edward. There was fear in her eyes, this wouldn't shake. How could they erase something like this from Bella's mind?

Este was glad that no one else had seen a thing. She would've known if they had. If this school could do anything, it was gossip. Este always heard rumours fly around the school like small pests. Some of them damaging, some of them true, most entirely fictional. If anyone had caught wind of what Edward had done, it would be papered over the school like red pamphlets.

However the thing which was bothering Este the most was what Alice had said. She didn't understand what the girl had meant. Of course Este presumed that she'd confirmed the Cullens wouldn't have to move after this, since this was what Este had been most worried about. Yet she couldn't think of another fear which would strike a nerve in their family. What else could possibly go wrong?

At exactly four, Este gathered up her things and headed for the back door. Thankfully she didn't see anyone on the way expect for a few stray students getting lost in the corridors. Este couldn't deal with the snide comments of her peers on this day. Most teachers were locked in their offices talking about what had happened. Drama usually stayed away from Forks.

She drove home as fast as legally possible and pulled up on the drive outside the garage. They were waiting for her when she got back. Sitting in silence. It was all very dramatic. For some reason, Este fought the urge to laugh. Seeing them sitting around the unused dining table was awfully comical. Carlisle with his hands clasped formally on the table in front of him.

Edward was sat on Carlisle's left. Este moved to sit in the chair next to her husband. He looked worried, not as much as Edward.

Stay

Este looked directly at Edward as she thought so. He met her eye and didn't say anything in response. She knew he was planning on running again. His eyes said all they needed to, the depths of concern. Este sighed as she reached forwards and took Carlisle's hand in hers, she needed something to calm her. He gave her a small, reassuring smile.

Carlisle's lips were pressed tight together and his forehead was creased. The expression looked too old for his young face.

It was as though where they sat declared their standing on the entire situation. Este didn't like how this was playing out, she could feel the tension in the air and she could see the argument forming in the families eyes.