(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧) the newborn army

✧✧✧

ESTE WAS PRETTY MUCH IGNORING HER FAMILY. They spent most of their time talking about the upcoming battle against the newborn army and they seemed pretty settled on the impression that Este would not be joining them.

Truthfully she didn't know how to feel about this. On one hand she was pissed because she was almost sure that she would be a large help to them. In the past, Este had proved herself a good fighter. Her speed and strength certainly helped this but also the anger that seemed to be constantly embedded deep inside her, hard to get rid of.

But on the other hand, her family had a point. Whatever was going on in her mind, this anxiety pouring out at the sides. It was weakening her. She could feel it placing pressure on the different sectors of her mind. She lay eyes open staring at the world above her and she could feel the earth spinning below them. Her mind was twisted and this was in fact placing a large strain on her. Everything seemed harder because of it and Este wasn't sure what she could do to get rid of this constant worry.

However the idea that she was leaving her family to deal with the fight alone was enough to make her forget all the reasons why she should stay behind. Este had already seen all the worst possibilities in her mind and she was sure that Edward had too whether through a projection of his own mind or a product or his own concern.

A new worry that had started to fester in Este's mind was the idea that Edward was also not participating in the fight. Este had believed this must be a joke when he had first told her. First he'd seemed assured that Este shouldn't be involved in the battle against the new born army and now he was coming to her and saying that he was leaving the family with even less defence still.

It was Bella's idea which didn't surprise Este in the slightest although she did like placing blame on the girl even for things she probably wasn't entirely responsible for. The purpose of keeping Bella out the way was for the reasoning that the new born army were trying to murder her. It was a very simple concept. Anyway, she would be absolutely no help in the battle. What was she going to do? Complain them to death?

She'd managed to convince Edward to stay out of the way with her while the new born army trekked into Forks. Bella already had the protection of Jacob with her at all times so Este believed the idea of stealing Edward too was rather selfish. She said it was because she would be too concerned with his safety while climbing up at the top of Forks outer mountains. Este guessed she wasn't too bothered that the rest of Edward's family was risking their lives for her. Apart from Este of course.

However Bella deserved some credit. She'd figured out that it was Victoria's larger plan to destroy Bella, to use the newborn army as a distraction. At first Este hadn't believed this. After all, Alice had been tracing her decisions but Bella pointed out that Victoria was aware of Alice's gift, she'd do anything to evade it. After that the rest had fallen into place perfectly. It made sense. A group of vampires killing Bella randomly didn't make sense. Victoria being behind it worked perfectly, added up inside everyone's mind. It didn't make the battle easier however. If anything it just made things more difficult.

Alice tracked predictions like footsteps through the day of the battle. Este heard them talking about it downstairs, hushed voices as though maintaining the art of secrecy. They had a very simple plan. Bella's scent would be disguised by Jacob's wolf aura. She would leave traces of her scent around the field where they wanted the fight to take place. Familiar ground would work in their favour. The Cullens would meet them there, ambush them. The Wolves would join and then they hoped the rest would go as easy as clockwork. Este wasn't so sure.

She wasn't banned from joining in the conversation about the fight, methods and tactics. Este could hear Jasper talking very calmly and precisely back through everything they already knew. It was helpful nonetheless.