Negotiations

February 15

SDF Headquarters, Temporary Capital Zion, Seiren Kingdom

Half an hour after the offer of negotiation was delivered from the enemy general, the captains and other executives of each escort ship who had received Hasegawa's order to assemble, the representative of USFJ, Captain Anthony Rodriguez, and the captured Altian soldiers who had been asked to lend the 'mana' necessary to use the 'faith shell' gathered in Hasegawa's command center and took their seats.

Magic in this world is embodied in the transformation of what is called 'mana'. And that magic is the life energy that resides in the bodies of all living beings. However, only a human being called a 'mage' can transform mana into 'magic,' and a physical catalyst called a 'magic tool' is required for a non-mage to use the mana in their body. Therefore, in order for Japanese people to use magical tools such as faith shells, they needed to be assisted by someone with mana. In Japan, mages from Northaroia were mainly employed as assistants, while local mages were employed at embassies of various countries. As a rule, all people in this world have mana, but there is one other country besides Japan where the people of 'a certain big country' do not have magical powers like the Japanese.

"Ready to record, sir."

Captain Ando of the Akagi placed a recording device on the table surrounded by the members. He's going to record the entire conversation with the enemy commander in preparation for his report to the Ministry of Defense.

"...Minerto-kun, connect it."

"Yes."

After confirming that the preparations were complete, Hasegawa called out the name of the prisoner of war who had been brought here to donate his mana. A soldier of the Altian Empire, Minerto Inominit, who was called by name, chanted a code into the shell's mouth that connected it to the commander of the Imperial fleet. He then turned the shell's mouth toward Hasegawa and his men.

"In ten or so seconds, the other party will receive a sound signal. All conversations, whether listening or speaking, will be conducted through the mouth of this shell. All you have to do is speak loud enough to reach the shell, so you don't have to be so loud."

Minerto, who was originally a 'sound operator' in charge of sound communication between the mainland and the occupation base, explained the faith shell to the assembled officers.

'I see, this magic is very convenient.'

Captain Rodriguez of the USFJ was a little excited to see the fantastic item for the first time in another world. At that moment, he heard a voice from the other side of the shell.

"...My name is Tema Sympathetic, and I would like to thank you for your time. I am the commander of the Japanese invasion force."

"...!"

Finally, the conversation with the commander of the Japanese invasion force was connected. Everyone in the room was a bit surprised by the unexpectedly polite greeting of the enemy general.

"This is very kind of you. My name is Makoto Hasegawa, Commander of the Japan-US Joint Fleet. Well then, what business do you have with us, a nation so hostile to yours?"

In order to proceed with the conversation, Hasegawa immediately inquired about their purpose. The man on the other side of the shell, who called himself Tema, opened his mouth, choosing his words carefully.

"Are you the one who was assigned to capture the Seiren base the other day?"

"...Very much so."

"And the previous battle in the Far East?"

"...No, that was done by someone else."

"Oh, miraculously, the generals of Japan, including yourself, seem to be skilled at turning an overwhelming disadvantageous situation around..."