Forget

Emily's POV
  Carol and I spend the rest of the afternoon eating and hanging out.
  "Shoot, I need to get ready for my date."
  "So are you going to tell me anything else? Like between you and Mike."
  "I did notice one thing that's odd. When I'm around Mike I feel overwhelmed by our mate bond, like it's crashing over me like waves. But when he's away from me I almost forget we're mates." I get up and sit at my vanity to do my make up.
  "That is odd. I remember when you were mates with Liam, you both were glued to the hip." That's true we were together all the time.
  "But I still went to school. When I mated with Liam he consumed my mind, even when we were apart." Carol looks thoughtful.
  "Maybe he's wearing a secret Cologne that puts you under a spell." She giggles.
  "Yeah and maybe he's actually a mermaid." I say teasing. Carol laughs.
  "So what are you going to wear tonight?" She groans. Carol has always said she "hates how much energy girls put towards looking good for a guy" or something along those lines.
  "We're actually staying in, so just something cute. Something natural." I say.
  "Oh you should wear that blue dress." She gets up and heads for my closet. I think I know which one she is talking about, but it's been awhile since I wore it. I hear her moving things around in the closet.
  "Found it." Carol comes out of the closet with a navy blue lace back skater dress.
  "It's a little short don't you think?"
  "What are you a nun? You're almost 19, and he's your mate. It's fine." She throws the dress on the bed. She's right, I just need to get through this date and then it will be like 'Practical Magic' , but without murdering my boyfriend and burying him in the rose garden and him coming back as a ghost and possessing my body. Wait, are ghosts real? I need to ask Miranda.
  "When is your date?" Carol asks.
  "In 30 minutes."
  "You know what I just realized, I haven't done anything all day." Carol flops on my bed. She laughs.
  "I love my life." She adds. I roll my eyes at her. One day she will find her mate and maybe then she will be motivated to do something, anything. I finish my makeup and I pull my hair back in a ponytail.
  "Done. Now to get dressed." I put on the dress and check myself out in the mirror. The dress is short, but since we aren't going anywhere it should be fine.
  "You look adorable." Carol says.
  "Thanks. Just a few minutes before Mike arrives. Suddenly I hear someone approaching the door.
   I can not get use to how much my hearing has enhanced. The foot steps stop in front of my door and I'm waiting for someone to knock.
  "Em are you ok?" Carol asks.
  "Yeah I'm fine, it's just." I look over to the door. Carol being the bulldozer she is, walks over to the door and opens it. It's Mike.
  "Hey Mike. You here to pick up Em for your date?" Carol asks.
  "How did you know Mike was here?" She asks me through mindlink. I awkwardly smile at Carol.
  "Yeah, but I'm a few minutes early. Are you ready?" He looks at me.
  "Yes! So what are we doing tonight?"
  "It's a surprise. But don't worry, we aren't going out." He holds out his hand to me and I take it.
  "Goodnight Carol." I say as we head down the stairs. Mike leads us to the door. I hesitate at the door.
  "I thought you said we were staying in."
  "I said we weren't going out, and we aren't. Well we're aren't leaving the pack lands. It will be just you and me. Don't you trust me?" Mike looks at me. In his face I see my childhood best friend. The guy who has been by my side almost every day of my life. The one who has laughed with me and wiped my tears away. I see the guy I fell in love with. Why do I doubt him so much? My body softens.
  "Of course I do." I say.
  "Good, come on." He leads me to a car and opens my door for me. I get in and wait for him to get in the drivers seat. We make our way away from the Alpha house.
  "Seriously though, where are we going?" I ask. Mike was in a pair of blue jeans and a black shirt.
  "We could have walked, but someone wore a short dress on a mildly windy night."
  "It's not that windy." I tease.
  "It's just up here." We turn down a dirt road that leads to the river and an abandon cabin. This part of our land isn't currently being utilized, it's close to our borders and the ground is too soft to try and build right now.
  "Ok close your eyes."
  "Really?"
  "Come on, humor me." He insists. I close my eyes as he drives a bit further. He stops the car.
  "Hold on I'll help you out." He gets out of the car and I sit there waiting for him. He opens my door and helps me out. We walk a couple of steps and then stop.
  "Can I open my eyes now?" I ask.
  "Yes." I open my eyes to see lanterns on the ground lighting a path. I look at Mike.
  "Maybe we should see where they lead?" He whispers. I take his hand and walk down the path until I get to a tree wrapped in lights by the river. Under the lit tree is a table for set for two, and two comfy looking chairs.
  "Who helped you?" I ask.
  "What? You think I couldn't have done this all on my own?" I look up at him and raise my eyebrows.
  "Ok fine, it was Colton and Conner." Ah yes the twins. I don't know why their parents picked both c names, you would think they have enough similarities. If I was Mikes best girl friend, the twins are his best guy friends. They all played football together when we were in high school. I wonder if one of them will be his beta?
  "Of course they did. This is so sweet." We walk to the table and Mike pulls my chair out for me. The night air was crisp but not too cold, it was a perfect night to be outside.
  "I'm glad we could get some time together before the Alpha Announcement." Mike sits in front of me.
  "Me too."
  "I hope we didn't go too far last night. I don't know what it is, but it's hard to control myself around you."
  "The mate bond." I say nodding in agreement.
  "Well it's more than that Em. I love you. I just want to make you happy. Whatever I can do." He takes my hand.
  "I know Mike. And you know I care about you too."
  "I know." He says.
  There was a small silence between us.
  "How are you feeling about the Announcement?" He asks.
  "I'm looking forward to it." I say
  "Me too. I just hope I can earn everyone's respect by the time my dad steps down."
  "I'm sure you will. With all your training, you have definitely filled out." I mean he was attractive before, now he's just godly. Mind out of the gutter Emily.
  "Haha true, but until there is a battle or a challenge, people will only see me as the runner up Alpha." He says.
  "A challenge? Would someone challenge you? When was the last time our Alpha was challenged?" I asked.
  "Dad said they most likely won't because I have found my mate. And by the time my dad steps down we will most likely be mated. I'll be more powerful then."
  "Right, yeah, most likely." I say. 

  Why am I doubtful?

  Mike and I spend some time eating, drinking , and chatting about old times. It was nice to just talk to him like I used to. Through this whole ordeal, I have missed my best friend. I wish I could tell him what I've been going through and he could give me advice. But sadly, I can't trust anyone right now. After we are done chatting we go back to the Alpha house and watch a movie together. I practically fall asleep half way through. I feel Mike moving.
  "Em the movie is over." I groan and sit up.
  "I need to go to bed." I am exhausted.
  "No problem." He stands up and slides his arm under my legs and scoops me up. I'm not going to lie, I find this very attractive.
  Control yourself Emily, control yourself.
  He carries me upstairs.
  "Your room or mine?" He gives me a smirk.
  "Mike."
  "I'm just joking." He cuts me off and walks towards my room. He opens my door and sets me on my bed. He kisses my forehead.
  "Goodnight Em." He says and leaves my room. I lazily take off my dress and make up and crawl into bed. My phone buzzes. It's a text from Mike.
  "Thanks for going on a date with me. I've definitely missed spending time with you. See you tomorrow."
  I reply, "I'm glad we had our date. I have missed you too. Night!" I put my phone down and fall fast to sleep

  Dream.
  It is night and I'm in the forest. I hear a twig break behind me and I turn around quickly. It is the man with icy blue eyes.
  "What do you want?" I ask nervously.
  "You know what I want." He voice is snake like, soft and hissing.
  "My blood." He takes a step closer and nods his head. He has a large grin on his pale greasy face. He is slender and stands well above me.
  "Well you can't have it!" I say, taking a step back.
  "They hide you like a mistake. Your great great grandfather knew they stifled his abilities. That is why he ran. And he was not as nearly as powerful as you. Join us, and together we can show them who you really are. Join us and I will show you real magic." He takes a step towards me and reaches out his hand. I close my eyes and I play out the scenario of what would happen if I take his hand. It flashes into my mind, he will farm me for my blood. I open my eyes and take a step back.
  "You are a liar. You would just steal my blood. You do not care about me." The mans posture changes.
  "Oh but I do care, I very much need you alive." He lunges towards me.