Alpha Announcement Part 2

Emily's POV
I freeze when I see Mike.
"Hey Em." I don't say anything.
"You look really nice." He adds trying to lighten the mood. He looks handsome of course. He is wearing a black suit and his hair is combed back. His hair is actually getting quite long, it's starting to remind me of Liam's hair.
"That's very sweet of you to say Mike. We were just trying to avoid the crowd at the front door." My mom says behind me.
"Yeah, I didn't want to have to walk through all those people just yet." I explain.
Mike looks back over his shoulder at the people in the hall.
"Yeah, there are a lot in attendance tonight." I notice concern in his voice and on his face. He is definitely worried about something.
"You can go ahead mom. Dad is probably looking for you." I tell her.
"Okay, I will see you later dear. I love you." My mom hugs me goodbye then she squeezes my shoulder as she walks past me and Mike, and through the door. Mike takes care to quickly close the door once my mom is inside. I take a step back from Mike to put some space in between us.
Now that I know Liam is still out there somewhere, I don't want anything to do with the 'mate bond' Mike and I share. It feels wrong, and I want to avoid it at all costs.
Mike doesn't notice me step back though, he looks lost in thought.
"Mike what is going on?"
He looks up at me.
"What do you mean?"
"You look like you might pass out or something."
"I'm just a little nervous Em. It's nothing."
"Don't lie to me. I can tell when you are lying Mike."
He stiffens and takes in a deep breath.
"I'm worried someone will challenge me." He says quickly.
"Oh.."
I'm not sure if I believe that's the only thing bothering him.
"Is that it?"
"No, but you and I both know we can't speak on it more."
"What do you mean?" I ask.
The back door opens so quickly, it makes me jump. Luna Jackie is standing there.
"There you two love birds are! I knew you'd try and hide. Come on guys your guests are waiting." Luna stands back to let us through. Mike offers me his arm.
I just need to get through this night. I need to keep up appearances.
I wrap my hand under his arm and he leads us in. As we enter the room, people move aside and watch us. In fact, as we draw towards the middle of the room, silence falls over everyone in the crowd. All the men are watching Mike, I'm guessing they are sizing him up and questioning weather he is worthy. Then I notice their gazes move to me. I feel a heat in my cheeks. I wish this moment would end.
"Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention." Oh thank goddess, Alpha James has started his speech. Everyone's attention shifts to the second floor balcony. Mike and I head up the stairs as Alpha James thanks everyone for coming and makes jokes about traffic. I don't know if I am being paranoid or if my witch senses have enhanced my awareness, but I continue to feel several eyes on me. I try to ignore them and focus on not falling on these stairs and holding my head up. Finally we reach the top, Mike positions himself right behind his father, Alpha James. I stand off to the side.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, I present my son Michael Blackwell, the next Alpha of Silver Leaf Pack!"
Mike steps forward. Luna Jackie gently shoves me by his side. The crowd erupts in applause. My eyes are immediately drawn to three men not clapping.
"Thank you. And thank you father. I hope to serve you as well as my father did and as well as Liam would have."
"Coward!" Growls erupted through the room as people separated from the man that shouted. My jaw drops.
"What is the meaning of this?" Alpha James looks as though he could shift into his wolf and rip the guy's head off.
"He does not deserve the title of Alpha." The man stands his ground.
It's actually quite impressive, to be surrounded by angry werewolves and speak so boldly.
"And who are you to make such a statement?" Alpha James shouts.
"My name is Emanuel Stone. I was at the battle where Liam died."
My heart pings in pain. I know he is alive but revisiting those memories is still painful.
"Your new future Alpha did absolutely nothing to save him! He is a COWARD! Or maybe he just wanted a different prize." His eyes dart to me. I step back, embarrassed, into the shadows of the balcony.
Mike did nothing?! I mind link him looking for a shred of an explanation.
"WHAT IS H-"
The link is broken. I look over at Mike and his face his flushed red with anger. Strong emotions can cut off a mind link.
I hear people whispering to one another in the crowd.
"I accept." Mike says softly trying to control his anger. The crowds' whispers stop. It's quiet.
"He has made no challenge." Alpha James says to Mike. He looks surprised.
"I accept your challenge Emanuel Stone." Mike shouts, he's looking right at Emanuel, staring him down from the balcony.
"I have made no challenge." He replies.
"You must think you are better qualified for this position than I am. Or have you not just come to my home and disrespected me in front of all my guests?"
Mike is right. An accusation like this needs to be addressed or they would find him weak.
"So you either challenge me, or declare war. Either way, someone is gonna die." Mike says sharply.
I have never seen Mike so angry in my entire life.
Emanuel thinks for a moment.
"I challenge you." he says coldly.
"The challenge will be held tomorrow." Alpha James announces. People cheer, these vultures always love a challenge. Everyone starts drinking and mingling again, like nothing just happened. It was as if everyone was waiting for it to happen. Mike is still staring down Emanuel.
Alpha James pulls Mike away into his office. I leave. I slip out the back door. I'm going to meet with Brody. I hear voices coming towards me from the front of the house, so I dart into the forest. I take the long way around through the forest to get to the cliffs.
I can't stop thinking about what Emanuel said. Mike made zero attempt to deny his accusations. How could Mike do that to Liam?  To his own brother. I wonder if there's a truth revealing magic spell or a way for me to see first hand what happened that day. If what Emanuel said is true then I don't ever want to see Mike again. I don't think I'm going to able to fake it anymore. I feel disgusting for what me and Mike did that one night. I shudder at the thought.
It takes me a awhile to make it to the cliff where I'm going to meet Brody. Finally as I am nearing the cliff. I hear a twig break. I freeze where I am. I close my eyes and listen. I hear another twig break, a bird on a tree branch, breathing, multiple people breathing in front of me. I open my eyes, the breathing is coming from the direction of the cliffs.
"Brody." I say in mindlink.
"Em is that you?" I hear his voice in my mind.
"Yes, are you alone?"
"Yes, are you?"
"I am. I'm almost to the cliffs."
I take another few steps towards him. I can see Brody standing alone by the cliffs, his arms wrapped around him. I am suddenly aware of how cold it is out here. The wind howls through the trees. I hear twigs break again. The breaks are following the pattern of footsteps. I'm standing still and so is Brody.
"Em is that you!?"
"No, it's not!." I reply.
Suddenly I see a figure move out of the tree line, walking towards the cliffs.
"Oh Brody. Brody, Brody, Brody. You should not have come back here." The figure says. It's a man's voice, it sounds so familiar.
"Stay hidden Emily. Do NOT come out here." Brody says in mind link.
Then I see two more figures come out from the tree line. I dart behind a bush. The figures backs are facing me. One is very tall and muscular, while the other two are smaller in frame.
"Bodyguards?" I say quietly to myself.
"Get away from me! I'm not going to do anything, I promise. I swear!" Brody pleads.
"I told you not to come back to the pack lands!" I recognize this voice, I heard it several times tonight, it's Alpha James.
Two MORE people come out from the tree line on opposite sides of Brody. He is surrounded now. He takes a few steps back, but he can't anymore. His back is to the edge of the cliff.
I have to do something. I have to save him. Can I really take on my Alpha and pack?
"All you have to do is join us son, and you can be apart of something great." The first man offers.
That voice. Where do I know it from? I close my eyes and try to think back. I know! My dreams. It's the man with the blue eyes! It's Luther. Alpha James and Luther are working together?
"Alpha James is a Blood Seeker." I say to myself, putting it together. My hand quickly covers my mouth.
"Emily, Liam is in Gray Ridge Pack. Save him. He needs you." Brody mindlinks me.
"Stay there Brody I'm coming to help." I reply.
"NO! I would rather die!" Brody shouts at Luther and I'm guessing also me.
"Brody, think about this. Think about what this will do to your parents." A female voice chimes in. It's Luna Jackie. I knew it.
"I would rather die than work with that man." Brody points at Luther. "And what will the pack think when they find out about you two."
"Three actually." Another person comes from the tree line. Oh no, it's Mike.
Sam growls sharply. She wants to come out and rip Mike limb from limb. I slip off my shoes. I can sneak up on them better without them.  Im going to save Brody, and I'm going to kill Mike.
Im about to make my move when suddenly I feel a cold hand on my shoulder. I whip my head around in surprise. A man with light colored hair has his finger to his lips gesturing for me to be quiet.
"Don't do it ducky. They are too powerful for just you." He whispers in my ear. He looks and feels so familiar to me. I look back at Brody.
"I can't just watch him die!" I whisper back.
"Brody." I say in my mind.
At the same time Luther sends a huge fireball directly at Brody's chest. The fire ball knocks Brody back 10 feet, over the edge of the cliff.
"Save Liam." Brody mind links me one last time. He disappears over the edge of the cliff. I turn away and scream. The stranger grabs me before the sound escapes from my throat. He buries my face into his shoulder, muffling the sounds of my cries. He does not smell like a wolf, in fact he doesn't even smell like a human. He is cold to the touch and smells of blood. He holds me for a moment. I pull back when I hear more footsteps running towards the cliff.
"Alpha! There has been a security breach."
"What kind of breach?"
"Vampire sir. We lost the scent."
VAMPIRE?!
I turn back to the stranger. He looks at me with his green eyes.
"You're, you're a.."
"Vampire." He says.