I Know Magic

Emily's POV
      Once my father is gone I turn to my mom.
      "What is going on?" I ask.
      "You think he's involved, your instincts might be right. But for now we need to play dumb. We need to get you back to Miranda's. Grab the spell book. We need to held out." My mom stands to clear the table. I get up and grab the book.
      "Mom I need to change my clothes." I say.
      "Check the drawers you have some clothes in there." My mom yells up. I check the drawers, they aren't the best clothes, but it's better than wearing the same clothes from yesterday. I change and head downstairs.
      "I'm ready to go."
      "Good, let's go." We head out to the car and head towards Miranda's. I spend the two hours reading over the spell book. We are getting close to Miranda's but something is different.
      "Mom stop the car." My mom slams on the brakes and the car jerks to a stop.
      "What is it?" She asks. I lean closer to the windshield to get a better look. I don't see anything but something is definitely off.
      "I'm not sure." I get out of the car. I close my eyes and listen. I hear the cracking of branches and leaves. I heard muffled voices.
      "There is someone here." I mindlink my mom. But I didn't see anyone. Something I read in the book said something about cloaking spells. Suddenly a woman appears in front of the car. She has curly blonde hair and she was wearing a long tight black dress. My mom gets out of the car at this point.
      "Emily, I presume."
      "Who is presuming?" I snap back. She smiles.
      "Good, keep your guard up. You are going to need it. Come on, everyone is waiting for you." The woman waves her hand to join her and she steps back and vanishes. I look at my mom and she looks back at me. We walk to the front of the car where the woman was standing.
      "What do we do?" I ask.
      "I guess we just take a step." I take my moms hand and we step in together. It feels like we stepped into another world.
      "Finally." The woman says. She was standing there waiting for us.
      "Follow me." We have stepped into what looks like a small village. There were houses and tents, tons of people walking around and talking. There were chickens and goats. Someone working on swords and someone working on food, I think. My mom and I follow this strange woman right down the center of everything. I notice people turning and watching us, but I wasn't getting any bad feelings so we kept following. Soon we were walking towards a very familiar house, it's Miranda's. The woman walks into Miranda's house and I am close on her heels.
      "Look what I found." Our leader says. Everyone in the room turns to look at us. Miranda was there, along with Hiroen and two others I did not know. I know it's Hiroen based on the pictures my mom showed me. They are all gathered around the table looking at something, a map maybe?
      "Emily. I'm glad you are safe." Miranda says. I notice my mom staring at Hiroen. I'm guessing Hiroen notices too. He walks up to my mother and holds out his hand.
      "Hello Angela, I am your grandfather Hiroen." My mom doesn't shake his hand. Hiroen withdrawals his hand.
      "Mom." I say.
      "It's ok. I know why she's mad." I didn't realize it, but she was mad. She just glared at him.
      "I will explain why I wasn't there and why I bound your magic, in time."
      "Who are all these people?" I ask.
      "They are the Dawn. I called them after you left yesterday. They are here to protect you." Miranda explains.
      "Good, I think the blue eyed man knows you are helping me. I didn't interact with him and he couldn't see me, but he knew someone was hiding me from him."
      "The blue eyed man?" The other woman in the room said.
      "Luther." Miranda says.
      "You were right to call on us."
      "I'm sorry, Emily and Angela, this is Ryfin and Vasylia. They are leaders of the Dawn and powerful witches. They are going to help teach you magic."
      "Great, when do we start." I really can't wait to feel useful.
      "I think now would be best. I think we have come up with a plan to speed the process up."
      "What is it?" I ask. Vasylia comes over to me.
      "It's kind of like a transfer spell, but what I will be transferring is knowledge."
      "That's so cool."
      "Well it comes with risk."
      "What kind of risk?" My mother asks.
      "Transferring knowledge is tricky, and will mostly transfer more than just magic knowledge. It could potentially transfer everything. It could also leave the transferer a shell of a person. But I have done this three times before."
      "Successfully?"
      "Two of them." My heart drops in my stomach.
      "Who is the transferer?" I ask.
      "Hiroen. It works best with a relative"
      "Would you mind if I have a moment alone with Emily?" He asks the room, but mostly my mom. She nods slightly. Hiroen wraps his arm around my shoulder and takes me out to the porch. He sits down on a bench with his back up against the house. I join him.
      "I want to tell you why I left, why I'm still alive, and why I bound your magic."
      "Can you tell me how it got unbounded too?" He smiles.
      "I wanted to be alive to see how my bloodline turned out. When I heard about the prophecies, I was worried that the coven was wrong. I was worried you wouldn't be good and I wanted to be around to stop you if I had to."
      "You would have killed me?" I ask.
      "If you were going to be the reason the world ended, yes I would have tried." There was a moment of silence. I look out at all the people, busy in their work.
      "One day the blue eyed man came to me in my dream. His name is Luther. He told me my parents were murdered by the Blood of the Pure. I left my family to go find answers. I planned to come back, but I was attacked and hunted. I reached Miranda and the coven. The Pures killed everyone in the coven, but Miranda and I. Miranda told me they knew who I was and I would never be safe, nor my family. So I visited Fiona one last time. I wanted to keep her and our baby safe. So I bound the baby's magic and left my family. With every new baby in the bloodline, I bound their magic. And then you came along. I knew you were the Tribrid ever since you broke the binding spell. Magic is directly tied to your emotions. When you lost Liam, your extreme emotion broke all magical ties to you. I felt it the moment it happened. You are so powerful Emily. I have watched you grow up, and I know I have nothing to worry about with you."
      "Is Liam alive?" I ask.
      "You will know the answer to that soon."
      "Are you sure you want to do this? I can learn the hard way. I am a really good student."
      "I know you are. I have lived a long life. If it is to end, I want it to help you." He says. He gets up slowly from the bench and hold out a hand for me.
      "Let's learn some magic." I take his hand and we head back inside.
      "Ok, so what do we do?" I ask.
      "We will need to set up for the spell. We will gather everything. In the mean time, Carmen will show you around maybe get some lunch." Ryfin gestures to the girl that brought us here. She looks a little annoyed at the request, but takes us out of the house. She shows us the blacksmiths and the armory. She introduces us to a few other witches and then we get some food. I don't eat much as my nerves get the better of me. I feel Sam pacing in my head, she's nervous too.
      "They are ready for us." Carmen says to us. We head back to Miranda's house. Inside the living room, all the furniture has been moved up against the walls and a large circle is marked on the floor with a candle in the middle. There were a few more people in the room too.
      "Emily I want you to lay down with your head to one side of the candle." I felt like all eyes were on me as I lay down in the circle.
      "Good, now Hiroen lay with your head on the other side of the candle and your body pointing the opposite direction. Your heads being the only overlap in the circle." Hiroen comes into the circle. I try to take calming breaths.
      "Good, everyone circle around them and join hands." Everyone circles us. I also noticed all the noise outside stops. It was so noticeably quiet.
      "Emily and Hiroen, close your eyes and try to clear your minds. Everyone else repeat after me."
      "scientia nota, scientia datum"
      "scientia nota, scientia datum" A wind picks up inside the house and I hear the house creak under the strain.
      "scientia nota, scientia datum" They repeat louder to be heard over the sounds of the house and wind that grow louder still.
      "scientia nota, scientia datum"  They shout and the wind dies and the candle blows out. A surge of information fills my mind. Memories that are not my own. I know about magic, talismans, potions, earth magic, and spells. I open my eyes.
      "Emily?" I hear my moms voice. I look at her.
      "Liam is alive."