Traditions

ONE YEAR LATER
               Emily's POV
  I'm sitting in the doctor's office waiting for the nurse to come in.
  "Are you nervous?" Liam asks.
  "Maybe a little bit, what if something is wrong?"
  "What could possibly be wrong?"
  "I don't know, I don't want to think about the endless possibilities."
  "Everything will be fine." Liam holds my hands. Soon the nurse comes in and sets up the machine.
  "You ready?" She asks with a smile. I just nod. She quiets the jelly on to my stomach then she places the instrument on my belly and begins to move it around.
  "Alright, let's see. Here we go." I'm watching the monitor.
  "This is the foot." Ok five toes, looks good.
  "So then.. Ah! Okay, here's the face." She stops on the face. My baby's face. Liam squeezes my hand.
  "So are we learning the sex today? Or are we waiting to find out?"
  "We want to know." I say, I'm done with surprises.
  "Alright." She moves the instrument around.
  "Looks like you are having... a boy." She says.
  "A boy!" Liam cheers with excitement, he definitely wanted a boy.
  "Now we get to think of baby names." I say.
  "Let me just take a few more measurements, but everything look good." The nurse says. She moves the instrument a bit and takes a few pictures as well. When she's finished she wipes off my belly and hands is the pictures.
  "Alright, you only have a few more weeks left. I'll see you in a week for a check up, ok?"
  "See you in a week." Our baby is the first tribrid that will be born, everyone is a bit anxious. Because, I know one person who I'll be following right behind me in the labor room.
  "You want to go show Carol?" Liam asks.
  "Yes." I say in excitement. We leave the clinic and head over to Carol and Jacob's house. I walk through the front door and see Carol on the couch.
  "Hey Carol, is Jacob at training?" Liam asks.
  "Yeah, you better hurry up if you want to join."
  "I'm going to go over to training. Have fun."  Liam kisses my forehead and leaves. I join Carol on the couch.
  "How was the appointment?" Carol asks. I hold out the photos to her.
  "It's a boy."
  "Awww! That's so exciting. Jacob wants to wait to find out the sex, but I want to know now! How am I supposed to think of names? And how am I supposed to decorate. I wanna know." She looks over the photos.
  "Look at his widdle hands." She points to one picture.
  "I know. I can't wait to meet him."
  "So should we talk names?"
  "I want his middle name to be Hiroen."
  "Oh Em that's so sweet. Ok so what name flows with Hiroen? Hunter? Is the double H too much?!"
  "Not necessarily. But let's try others. What about Hugh?"
  "Let's try a different letter. Kai or Jace?"
  "Kai Hiroen Blackwell.. Jace Hiroen Blackwell..I kinda like both of those. But Liam has to have input."
  "True, he'll probably want something super manly like Gauge or Axle."
  "So a car part?"
  "Maybe Muffler." We both laugh.
  "Oh Em I'm so glad our kids are going to grow up together." Carol takes my hand.
  "Me too."
  "Do you want to help put some clothes away that I got for the baby?" Carol asks.
  "I'd love to, but I want to show my mom and Cyran the pictures of the baby."
  "Oh yes definitely. I would join you but my feet are already swelling just thinking about walking down there." Carol teases.
  "Haha don't worry. I'll see you tonight for the remembrance dinner." We've decided to make the remembrance ceremony a tradition. We're going to meet for dinner and honor those who we have lost.
  "Absolutely." Carol says. I get up and head out to my mother's house. Surprisingly they moved back into our old house. I walk in and what a shock, my mom is in the kitchen.
  "Emily. How was your appointment? Are you hungry? Have a seat I'll get you something." My mom has been fussing over me since the moment she found out I was pregnant. I take a seat.
  "The appointment went well, we found out what we are having." My mom stops cooking.
  "Wait let me call Cyran in here. CYRAN!"
  "Mom you could just mindlink him."
  "COMING!" He yells back. They are hopeless. Cyran walks in.
  "Hey Em, how was your appointment?"
  "She found out the sex." My mom interrupts.
  "Go ahead dear." She adds.
  "It's a boy." I hold out the pictures and my mom comes from around the counter and eagerly grabs them out of my hand.
  "Oh my precious grand baby. Look at his face." She shows Cyran the photos. They are so cute together. I will admit, at first it was hard for me to see them together, but now it just seems right. I mean they are my biological parents. I get up and walk over to get some water.
  "Oh honey I'm sorry, sit down I'll get it for you." She ushers me out of the kitchen and I sit back down, Cyran joins me.
  "So have you thought of baby names?" He asks.
  "I know I want the middle name to be Hiroen."
  "Oh honey that's so sweet." She places a glass of water in front of me.
  "Any first name ideas?" Cyran asks.
  "Carol and I thought of Kai or Jace, they sounded pretty good. But I'll have to talk with Liam about it."
  "I'm sure you'll come up with a perfect name for him." My mom says. She brings me a sandwich and I eat it while we talk about baby plans. After lunch I go home to rest and kick my feet up. I wait for Liam to come home and watch a movie while I wait. Liam finally gets home from training.
  "How was your visit?" He asks joining me on the couch.
  "It was good. I went to see mom and Cyran too."
  "Did your mom feed you?"
  "Yeah. Everyone keeps asking me about baby names."
  "Have you come up with any yet?" He asks.
  "Well I know I want his middle name to be Hiroen. But I'm still iffy on the first name. We thought of Jace or Kai. What do you think?"
  "I like Kai. But we still have weeks to figure it out. And we might look at this little guy and realize that none of our names fit him. I wouldn't stress about it." Liam says.
  "Fine, but you need to go get ready for dinner." I say.
  "Alright, do you need anything?"
  "No I'm good, thanks love." He gets up and kisses my forehead. Once Liam is ready we make our way back out to the river. I think these remembrance dinners are going to be my favorite evenings.