05

// T H E K I L L I N G S P R E E \\

____

There was this girl that had no problem with anyone, was as nice as anyone could be, had a little attitude problem but still nice, and sat alone during lunch or always ended up with no partner in a group project.

I was that girl.

I had ten thousand friends on Instagram, three thousand on Twitter and ten thousand on Facebook with over two thousand waiting to be accepted. Yet I couldn't look around the entirety of St Kensington High and spot someone I could call a friend. If a girl approached me today and said hello, she was told I was good at French and she currently needed my help for a homework or project.

Pretty sad, wasn't it?

I thought it would have been a bit of a relief if I actually had friends I wanted to hang out with like I had told Mr Varkov. I mean, I assumed it would have been nice having someone ask me why I had been absent from school for five days straight. And it would have been nicer for me to be able to sit them down and narrate how a very handsome man broke into my house and kidnapped me. The forward friend, perhaps a red-haired with icy blue eyes, would have suggested we burn down Mr Varkov's mansion, and the meek one who is probably too shy to approach her crush, would pull out a phone, shaky limbs dialing 911 to report a case of kidnap. And then there would be that one bad girl with way too much mascara and black lipstick telling me to stay behind and become a mafia princess.

Too bad, I had none of those. I have been on my own since I came to Russia three years ago. And I would probably be on my own till dad would return to me. So If I must escape from Mr Varkov's clutches, I had to think smart like a thousand heads would.

But where do I go from here?

Dad told me he didn't have any family left after an unfortunate incident took the life of his mom, dad and elder brother. He was apparently the only surviving child.

He didn't keep friends either. He said they were the same people that would stab you in the back when you are not watching. So now I couldn't even say I would run off to any of his friends.

I was so alone it actually made me sick to my gut and this was just the first week of the six months that I had to wait for him.

I needed to escape from this vicinity. But I had already sailed through three classes and now I was sitting alone at lunch, but still unable to come up with an escape plan. It would have been easier if I had money.

I needed money. I needed to go back to the house and empty my secret safe and then ransack dad's room for any hidden stack of cash.

Desperation even made selling the gold chain around my neck so tempting. It was pure gold, from the chain to the pendant. It would definitely cost a fortune, might even be enough for me to live on for a few years more if dad ended up disappearing into thin air. But if I sold it now, I would feel guilty for the rest of my life. It was a gift, the one M gave to me on my eighteenth birthday. It had felt so precious to me I never took it off since that day. How could I just be mean enough to sell such a thing now?

"Penny for your thoughts?" I heard a familiar voice just when I was about to pop a fry into my mouth.

It was Filip. I quickly put the fry back down.