s e v e n t y - t w o

_____________________________________

MIKHAIL'S POV
________________________________

I honestly don't know how I feel about this chapter.
Anywho, thanks for 500k, guys!!!!

___________

There was a group of people we called the elders. There wasn't really a rank attached to them. But they were a very core aspect of the clan. Yes, I called the shot, I did the running of the mafia, but they were the pillars, the overseers.

Amongst these elders, there were owners of law firms overseeing all our legal cases. There were bank managers handling our finances, both the legal and illegal ones. Then there was the general of the police of the Russian federation, colonel, lieutenant and junior officers in many branches and so on. We had realtors handling all our lands and properties. Then of course, at least twenty mayors from twenty different cities. In the coming Presidential election, we planned on making sure the next President comes from our clan.

Anyway, all these people in high places in the country made up the elders. They always held a meeting once every six months to survey our progress and losses. But impromptu meetings could be held too when something big had happened or when there was a sudden need to make a decision about something.

Earlier today, the elders called for a meeting. I didn't need a soothsayer to tell me what the reason behind that was. They had definitely spotted something of great power somewhere, perhaps in a country they had been eyeing for their vast wealth, and they were about to put heads together to hatch a plan.

I personally had no problem with that. Not so long ago, that desperation for absolute power was my reason for waking up daily. And that I had a new reason to keep breathing now didn't mean power wasn't still a hunger of mine. Deep down I still craved it, thirsted for it, and if the opportunity for more landed on my lap, I would grab it without a second spent thinking about it.

And even though I wasn't too thrilled sitting in the midst of greying men whose ends were practically reflecting in their eyes, in a house that held the lingering souls of my forefathers, I was curious to know what this was all about.

'where are you?
never mind, are you safe tho?'

I read the text that blinked into the screen of my phone, a warm and fluttering feeling depositing in my chest just thinking about who the text came from.

'hey, baby. sorry i got caught up in a lot. i'm currently at our ancestral house. the elders called for a quick gathering'

A dull ping was heard in the semi-silent room when my reply was sent. And as soon as she read my message, another text came in as a reply.

'the what now?'

I forgot she hadn't learnt about the elders. To be honest, there were so many things I actually wanted to teach her about my mafia. But then again there was never really time for that. There has been a lot of tension lately between us. From one predicament to the other I couldn't remember that last time we just sat to talk and bask in each other's presence. Couldn't even remember the last time we had sex.

Speaking of sex, it was probably one of the reasons I had been extremely grumpy lately.

'I'll tell you about them when I get back'