98

BIRTH OF A NEW BEGINING
________________________________

A/N: I didn't have time to proofread much. Please ignore anything that seems off or worded wrongly. Thank you<3

MIKHAIL
___________

The wind was a bit too chilly up where I stood on the rooftop of a dilapidated five-story building. It combed frozen fingers through my hair, cold whispers slapping me in the face every second it passed me by.

I needed something to warm me up. Fully suited with my blazer worn over the cotton dress shirt wasn't much of a help. I might be coming down with a fever because the cold wasn't usually this much of a bother to me before.

I wasn't sure if it was a good idea when I pulled out the pack of Marlboro in my left pocket, and without much hesitation, I fished out a piece of cigarette, placing it between my lips. Returning the cigarette pack to my pocket, I brought out my golden zippo and played around with the flames a little...just contemplating. I was having trouble deciding whether to light my cigarette or to return the damn thing to my pocket. Perhaps I shouldn't since I always reacted badly to every end of it. But then again it had seemed those reactions always came from consuming too much of it at the same time, and not a consistent intake.

Three days ago, I smoked just one and didn't discard it until barely an inch was left and nothing happened. Three days before that I smoked too, went a bit past half, and I didn't fall sick or whatever. So I got a theory; I wasn't allergic to cigarettes of any kind. It just always ended up as a problem when I sat in one place and consumed too many, maybe five at most.

I wasn't allergic to smoking. It was my body not being able to take too much at a time.

So shutting off voices in my head, I lifted the zippo and flicked it until the yellow flame came to dance on the top before kissing the tip of my cigarette.

I took the first drag, and let the foggy chemical play around in my mouth for a little while, even feeling it as a few escaped into my lungs before my lips parted in halves as I blew it out. Then I watched as the smoke danced away with the wind, merging with the discreet smoke still coming off the littlest cracks in what was left of the Onasis empire.

Damn, watching the ruins from a higher ground was more satisfying than watching from below.

I did a number on them. Too bad they wouldn't have survived to tell the tales.

I heard an impatient voice from beside me, and a little smirk lifted the curve of my lips, the action causing my cigarette to angle in the direction of my smirk.

"What seems to be the problem, Princess?" I asked, my tone the most sinister I had ever heard as I released smoke into the air again, "Not happy to be home?"

"Forgive me for not leaping with joy seeing the remains of my empire," for someone whose death was staring at in the skull-technically because Riccardo had a gun pointed at her head -she was sure mouthy, "Bad back from being punched and kicked for weeks."

"My apologies," I hoped she recognized the sarcasm, "I could have been gentler."

"If you are gonna kill me, just kill-"

"-relax, why don't you?" I said through a sinister smile, "I'm gonna kill you, alright? There's no doubt about that, Princess."

"Then do it." She spat, and I didn't have to turn to look at her to see how fiery her feline eyes were. I also didn't need to experiment with placing a gun on her hand to prove whether she would kill me if she had the chance or not. She looked ready for any chance to end me.