s i x t y - o n e

___________________________________

THAT'S MY GIRL
________________________________

[This chapter is a bit too long, yeah, 4k word's a lot, lol but I can't shorten it. Sorry for being silent for a while now though🖤]

_____________________________________

I could almost feel cold fingers brushing hair behind my back, lips whispering callous and vain words into my ear, while lethal eyes nested in the dark with claws out ready to tear me apart at my most vulnerable and unguided moment. And it could be right now or in the next millisecond. It was definitely not far, that I knew.

My heart kept racing even though the only motion made so far was running from the room to the car after staring at Mrs T for about five minutes—like I always did. 

And this were all the common symptoms since I encountered that woman the second time.

Whatever she was; a runner, model or a nurse?

I was afraid of her. Yes, Mikhail did tell me not to talk to strangers or trust them, but he never said they were like masquerades who I should be afraid of, right?

But this nurse; Coleslaw or whatever her name was. It was obvious. There was something off about that woman. And I wasn't sure if it was just in my head again, or if she was a dangerous person. It was almost as though she knew me. The hazy pictures floating in my head started strongly after I saw her. Like she was trying to trigger my memories. For me, that was weird. How could a stranger do that?

What if she's not a stranger? a persistent voice in my head insisted. But I was trying so hard to not pay heed. Mentally, emotionally and physically, I was beyond exhausted. These past few days hadn't been smooth for me. I had no will power for any unnecessary chaos than I was already facing right now. I didn't want to think too much about it.

I didn't want to worry about it.

She was just a person, a weird person like most humans, I assured myself again. And I was going to continue doing that until it all went away.

"Shiro Gusev." I heard a sly voice speak up, the familiar chills causing my skin to crawl in discomfort. My eyes snapped to the hard blue orbs staring at me through the rearview mirror, and my furrow deepened. 

I noticed now that the car was no longer in motion, but rather, pulled up at a spot in the driveway, just a few centimeters from the entrance to the grand foyer. How I got so wrapped up in thoughts for the twenty minute drive from the hospital to the house was beyond me.

"Huh?" I was confused, of course. I mean, my best friend's name just happened to slip out of the mouth of Mikhail's soldier who, I might add, hated my gut. He and I had never had a talk so personal before so what gives that he was casually uttering my friend's name?

"Even if you want to be an ungrateful, cheating bitch, couldn't you at least have the decency to do that in secret?" His words, vile like poison, felt as harsh as acid on my skin, burning through my delicate flesh to the very core of my being.

He said what now?

"Excuse me?" I had to have misheard him somehow, right? "What are you saying to me?"

No, I must have heard wrong.

"I'm saying you're fucking disgusting." His hard eyes looked intently at me through the mirror, his hands tight on the wheel.

Like a knife being swiped across the surfacing flesh of my heart, I felt a near-death kind of agonizing wrench, lasting longer than it should. Anger sat sizzling in the pit of my stomach, needing one or two more push to ignite into a dragon's flame and reduce him to ashes.