f i f t y - n i n e

________________________________

THE ART OF LETTING GO
_______________________________

I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH, I MEAN IT🤍🤍🤍

___

"I swear to God, Mikhail, I have never seen a man that lies half as much as you're doing right now." I uttered through half gritted teeth as the anger continued to simmer in my chest. 

"I'm telling you the truth. It has always been there." He looked guilt-stricken for someone pleading innocence, "I just didn't tell you because I thought it would make you feel uncomfortable."

"If it has always been there, how come Mrs T never told me?" I bit out, letting out an angry puff of air before turning to the mirror, furiously running the brush through my hair, "She has braided my hair a few couple of times, applied anti-dandruff cream at some point, how exactly did she never spot the grey hair you claim to have been seeing for a while?"

His gaze dropped, tired eyes sealing shut slowly before he pinched his fingers together on the bridge of his nose. "Can we just forget about this? Look, you're already late for school. You have a test in fifteen minu—" 

"—of course." I cut him off, slamming the brush on the table, light-weight contents bouncing around, a few of them tipping over the edge. "Let's all forget about it and move on like nothing happened. No, let's go on with our lives like I didn't take care of a drunken man all night without sleeping a wink and now I woke up to find myself sprouting grey hairs."

Honestly, the more I talked about the grey hair, the more I realised that I was aging faster than normal. "Seriously, Mikhail, let's pretend it's absolutely normal for a nineteen year old girl to start sprouting grey hairs."

"Hair." He mumbled under his breath in correction, sparing me a discreet side eye,  and my eyes narrowed at him, "It's just one. It can't really be called hairs, when it's just a single one though."

"Are you kidding me, right now?" I couldn't believe my ears. If not for the difference in age, I would have slapped him for that comment. Whether it was just a string of grey or if my entire head was covered in grey hair, would it change the fact that he was responsible for my sudden aging syndrome?

A nineteen year old girl had grey hair for crying out loud. This wasn't normal. Was no one else seeing this as abnormal and medically alarming?

God, I needed to see a doctor. What if I wake up tomorrow with wrinkles and weak bones?

"Okay, I'm sorry for seeming insensitive." He recollected his manners as he took a step closer to me, placing both hands on either of my forearms, "We'll, I mean, I'll f-fix. I'll try and fix it."

"How do you wanna do that, huh?" I baraged with a scoff, jolting away from his touch, "No, how do you wanna remove grey hair from my head? What difference will fixing it make? Will it change the fact that a girl in her teen years has grey hair now?

Frustrated and seeming clueless as to what to do or say, he gave up. "Okay." He ran a hand through his hair before letting the hand drop beside him hopelessly again, "What do you suggest I do? Honestly, I'm open and willing to do whatever you want, okay? J-just stop being angry, baby. It's getting exhausting, especially the anger that is always directed at me."

"Obviously there's nothing you can do." I mumbled under my breath, guilt washing over me.

His last words did slice through my heart, made me feel pathetic for being so hard on him lately. But then again I was angry. I was a teenage girl with grey hair.