13

__________

I knew fraternizing with a criminal would land me in a quagmire one day. But I had always hoped before the day would come, dad would have returned or I would have found a better, more ground escape. But here I was, police officers just a couple of feet away, and my fate depended on however Mr Varkov would choose to handle the bargain currently occurring between him and one of the cops with stone eyes.

While the detective looked rather aggressive with words, Mr Varkov was laid back, unaffected, like he didn't have any idea the gravity of the offense he just committed.

I looked away quickly when the man's solid eyes met me over Mr Varkov's shoulder, and Mr Varkov in turn craned his neck to give me a quick glance then looked away, nodding his head to the man in affirmation. Was he telling the detective that I was an accomplice? What a bastard. Told me he was a gentleman now look at him selling me off when I didn't even contribute to the crime...okay maybe I did a little by deceiving him into coming to the movies.

I saw the detective nod his head stiffly, his demeanor not accommodating at all. He watched with a heated gaze as Mr Varkov turned around, heading toward where I stood by the car, sirens still blaring, the environment still unsettled.

Mr Varkov really did a number on people's sanity tonight.

"What?" He arched a perfect brow on reaching me, "Why are you glaring at me like that, little lady?"

"Are we going to jail?" I asked outrightly, leaning off the car, "Cause if we are a glare fixed at you is nothing compared to what I will actually do to you."

He regarded me with travesty as his dark eyes looked over my small frame, eliciting a deep chuckle from the back of his throat, "Please, get into the car." He commanded with authority.

"Now we are gonna commit more crimes by walking out on a detective too?" I uttered in disbelieve, a discreet glance thrown the way of the man who was still glaring at us, his black eyes scrutinizing, "Mr Varkov don't you get tired of being a narcissist jer-"

"-Get your fucking ass in the car, Azania!" He grounded out, holding the passenger door open for me. Without further hesitation, I quickly hopped in, the door immediately slammed shut by him before I could even settle down completely.

My eyes followed him as he walked around the car and pulled open the door to the driver's side, sliding in and settling down before shutting his door.

"I don't think it's a good idea to walk away from the detective," I still said timidly, my body pressed against the door, hand readily on the handle to open it and bolt just in case he wanted to put a bullet in my jaw to shut me up, "He looks pretty upset."

The man didn't even answer me, which I thought was better than a bullet, of course. All I could do was bore holes into the side of his face as he proceeded to start the car.

I wondered if he was ever afraid his teeth might fall apart if he always had them clenched like this with the fleeting way he usually got angry.

My finger itched to trail his jawline just to know how strong they would be under my touch, but I mustered up the will to curb the urge. It would really be weird and unexplainable if he asked why I was touching him.

"Stop staring." His raspy voice made me jump, and I quickly looked away, mentally slapping myself for always getting caught in such shameless acts.