f o r t y - s e v e n

____________________

THE ORIGAMI
_______________________
••

"Open your legs," I urged hastily, and without waiting for Mikhail's lips that were slightly parted to say something sexual, I rudely pushed the said legs apart, sinking between them.

"Damn," he breathed, humour and a little bit of mischief dancing in his tone, "I always thought I'll be the only one uttering those words."

"Just please pack my hair?" I rolled my eyes though unable to hide the obvious heat crawling up my cheeks as I lifted the hairbrush and the black band over my shoulder.

He took it from me, chuckling. And even without seeing his face, I could tell the stupid smirk stretching across his rosey lips right now as he gently ran the brush through my hair, combing out the knots. 

It wasn't as though I had become so handicapped or that my memory loss took so much that I couldn't brush or style my own hair. Trust me, I could literally braid my hair these days, thanks to the clock app. But there was just something about having him do it that left this long lasting pleasant feeling at the depth of my stomach. It was always there, every time he would do something for me, especially things that I could easily have done on my own.

"Who are you texting?" I suddenly felt his hot breath hit the side of face when he tipped his head lower and his chin dropped on the curve of my shoulder, eyes peering into the screen of my phone.

"Someone." I shrugged, my fingers typing out the reply to the said someone. 

"I know it's someone." I could already sense an edge to his tone, "Since I don't expect you to be texting an animal." 

He grumbled the last part under his breath, his chin disappearing from my shoulder as he leaned back to his position and continued to run the brush through my hair.

Seriously?

"Look, it's just a guy from chemistry class, okay?" I turned slightly to show him the screen of my phone, "We just started texting today so calm down. You can check the messages if you want."

"There's no need for that." he refused to look at the screen and instead, placed two hands on my shoulders to veer my body forward again, "As far as you make it obvious that he mustn't cross the line."

"What line exactly?" I was slightly irritated, "Fyi, he's just wondering why I didn't show up at school yesterday." 

"Shouldn't that be the problem of your class teacher?" His tone was condescending, his jealousy not even slightly hidden, "How did he even get your number by the way? Did you broadcast your number?" 

"That, I don't know." I rose to my feet as he had successfully packed the hair into a neat bun, "And the chemistry teacher did this thing where he pairs people permanently for two weeks. He happens to be my partner because that's how the school set it up. Boy must be partnered with a girl and vice versa. I think it's fairly normal that my partner for the next two weeks asks for my number to reach out to me since he didn't see me in class yesterday?"

"You just missed a fucking day of school so what's his deal?" from his tone, I could tell he was fighting the urge to snap because perhabs, he knew that would be uncalled for, "Why must they even pair a girl with a boy?" 

Oh God.

"That equality stunt they're tryna stage isn't gonna change the world, you know?" 

I blatantly ignored him because honestly, I had no words to describe how immature he was really sounding as I walked toward the foot of the bed instead and began to put on my white sneakers that lay beside it.