f o r t y - f o u r

_____________________

MIKHAIL

______________________

Azania's grandmother was sure as hell that I injected something into Azania that made her lose her memory.  And she was ready to swear on her life.

"I know that accident was staged." she accused still, "You just needed something to tie her memory loss to."

"What?" I asked again.

Did she really believe that I would put Azania's life in danger just so I could do what? Erase her memory? 

"What are you injecting into her?" She demanded.

"After Azania woke up from the coma, she had many cases of seizures," I ignored her, needing to tell her what I wanted her to know, "One was so bad she shut down for days. The neurologist said the more I would try to tell her things that occurred before the accident, the more she would hunger for more. And too much pressure causes a trigger which resorts to a seizure. If the seizure comes too often, it might lead to brain death and being brain dead is as good as being dead." I paused, gauging her expression which wasn't yielding much but a bit of fear could still be traced.

"And I'm sure you and I don't wish to open our eyes every day to a reality of her being gone forever. Or would you like to be the woman who buried her husband, daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter in the space of three years?" a devilish grin tugged at the corner of my lips.

She didn't answer.

"And I'm pretty sure back in Nigeria, people will start to think that you're involved in some witchcraft."

Something dark flashed through her feline eyes at my last statement. I supposed my delving into details was unnecessary.

"What do you want?" Her voice was slightly cracked, her eyes almost dampening. Shit, did I bring back bad memories?

I bet I did.

"I am going to let you see your granddaughter," I said and her ears perked up, a little light sparking up in her eyes, "But not as Yetunde Darlington, her grandmother, but as someone else. Maybe the new cook from Nigeria, or the mother of one of my soldiers who came to see her son in Russia because she needed urgent medical attention." I implied, "I'm believing you know why we must do this?" 

She just stared at me. Only if she knew what I would really do if she proved too difficult.

"What do you want from my Gracie?" she suddenly asked softly, her eyes holding a bit of curiosity, "Her body or her heart?" 

"Soul, body and heart." I replied without batting an eye and her brows pulled together in disapproval, a slight purse on her lips.

"I want everything that is Azania Kuzmin." saying that made my heart hum gently, a little fluttery feeling in my stomach. I always felt it when I thought or spoke of her. She often made me feel like I was living some teenage dream, you know, having my crush, making dreamy scenarios in my head and thinking of forever when we haven't even spoken a word. 

Azania fucking made me feel like a little boy thinking of the many candies he could get at the store.

She always reminded me that I was still skin and bone and veins, just like humans. And that my heart must beat for someone. And that someone must he her or let the heart be rather dead.