88

QUEEN OF THE KING

________________________________

A lucid dream about falling off a cliff into a den of hungry lions had me springing off the bed into a sitting position. 

Due to the speed at which I had jolted up, there came a prolonged bell ringing in my ears and I had to hold my head in my hands to shut it out.

A couple of minutes or so slipped past me before I lifted my face from my hands, my head turning in the direction of the space beside me. It was empty, as usual.

My eyes searched the dimly lit room and caught Mikhail's tall frame sitting on his leather chair with his back resting on the body of the chair, his legs crossed atop the desk. I squinted my eyes to catch a better look at him and saw that his eyes were firmly shut. But the screen of his laptop was still on which meant it hadn't been long since he left it. And seeing as he was still with the same T-shirt and sweatpants from last night, it indicated that he never stood from that desk after he told me to go to bed and that he would join me shortly

The beeping sound from my phone which was hidden somewhere within the bed cover, brought my attention back to reality. My eyes drifted to the wall clock and saw that it was indeed 10:00 AM.

I let out a quiet yawn and a few stretches before I fully kicked the cover off my body to prepare for another day. Trying to get off the bed, I suddenly felt a wrenching sensation in my lower abdomen, as if someone was knotting my intestine.

"Not today, period. Just not today." I murmured, dreading the signs of it. I hated periods. Maybe I wouldn't have had issues with it if it didn't come with so much pain and so many mood swings you would think I was pregnant.

Today was definitely going to be a bad day, not only for me but for everyone, especially Mikhail. He always had it worse when I was on my period. He would be the one at the receiving end of my spontaneous mood swings. 

"Damn, I need coffee." I maneuvered myself off the bed, wincing at another tug. Seeing as there was no stain on the white sheet meant it hadn't started but it was definitely coming today. I would just hurry down for coffee and come back to shower and take some painkillers. 

I might simply not attend today's classes if it gets too bad. I also wanted to meet the elders today. Those old hags were still murmuring about Mikhail's betrothal to Clio Onassis. I had no clue why those people had refused to get the memo. It often ticked me off how they still had such a miniature way of reasoning, holding on to the belief that only by marrying the pretty girl would they have access to her wealth and powers. For me, that was so archaic and stressful for no reason.

They had so many soldiers. Over eight hundred soldiers in total and they couldn't put them to good use and overthrow that foolish clan that desperately wanted to sell off their daughter to the highest bidder. But instead, they were looking for the easy way out.

Anyway, period cramps or not, I was going to meet them today to talk about business.

"Step out of the room in that thing you are wearing and every eye that sees you wouldn't be so lucky to see the light of another day." 

My hand which was already wrapped around the knob froze at Mikhail's subtle threat.

I thought he was sleeping.

"What?" I turned around, my hand still firmly on the knob as my eyes fell on his haughty figure. The furrow of my brows only deepened on seeing he was still in the same position and his eyes were still closed. How did he see me?

"Don't you dare walk around among my soldiers like that, Malyshka." He said below breath, but the deepness of his strong voice rumbled against my skin.

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" Irritation rose in my stomach as I released my hand from the knob and came to stand in front of the mirror by the dresser.