t w e n t y - f o u r

The crashing roar of thunder welcomed me as soon as I stepped out of the bathroom. I didn't see it coming at all. I mean, it was windy this evening but I never sensed the rain nor a storm as livid as this one.

Shutting my windows to keep the water from coming in once the rain would start, I proceeded to head to my very scanty walk-in closet-scanty in the sense that the space was way too huge for probably less than hundred pieces of clothings.

Then I heard what sounded like a gentle knock. It came as a passing sound, like an echo coming from a distance, so I ignored it and stepped into the closet anyway.

While I was in the section I folded my sleeping clothes which were as per my obsessions, arrays of black and white T shirts and shorts, I was sure I heard another gentle knock come once again, yet I ignored it.

Picking up a baggy grey T and a butt-short, I put them on and went back into the bathroom to hang my towel in the rack. Just when I was stepping out again to go grab one of my novels to read, I heard it once more, this time louder and even saw the vibration the room carried with the sound. Or maybe it was the bang of the storm just now.

I groaned, my face contorting into a deeper frown.

By the patience of the person behind the door, it was definitely not Alexei. It was Mr Varkov.

I wondered what he could possibly want from me. To finish what he started? Maybe add my dead body to the one from a couple of hours ago.

"Azania?" I heard the rumble of his voice, gentle as the wind carried it to me, followed by another roar of thunder, "Open the door."

I really wasn't sure if I would be completely okay seeing him. I mean, back at the dining table, the way I was enraged, I would have probably pulled a trigger if I had a gun in my hand. That was how much what he did made me feel like I hated him the most in this world.

"Come on, Azania," he said with another gentle knock, "I know you are awake."

I didn't know what it was. But something about the helplessness in his voice tugged at my heartstrings, propelling me to walk toward the door and pull it open.

When I did, his arm was folded on the wall next to the door, but was lifted off when I appeared before him, a crestfallen expression on. His eyes were tired, what looked like remorse crossing the spellbinding orbs for a quick second.

"What?" I demanded outrightly, my arms folding across my chest as I tried my hardest not to make an accommodating pose in my stance or facial expression. I wanted him to know his actions were unforgivable and that I was still very much angry.

"You haven't eaten anything." He said, peeking at me through hooded eyes, his hands falling inside his pockets. Then I heard another rumble of thunder. It was obvious the pour was going to be heavy today.

I scanned him from head to toe. As if looking for answers on him. He hadn't changed from his white dress shirt and black pants of earlier. Though he had taken out the tie, left a few buttons open to reveal the tattoo that ran across his chest.

"I know that." I said curtly, ignoring how much his dripping sexiness was affecting the girl in me, "It was my choice."

"You can't go to bed on an empty stomach." He countered, slightly angry.