s i x t y - e i g h t

MIKHAIL'S POV

One day, something went wrong, I couldn't really recall what it was, I just remembered that the incident sent me into a deep sleep. But when I woke up from the sleep, I wasn't where I was supposed to be.

I was in a different world. 

What I could have called, a better world.

Of course the sun there was orange too, and it definitely always rose from the east and set in the west. Just like the world I knew, sometimes the moon was full and sometimes it could be half. It all depended on the season, I guess, just like my other world. 

Anyway, I realised how different the world I woke up was due to little things at first; like how the four walls were painted white but I remembered clearly that all the rooms in my house were a mixture of grey and white. The sunlight coming into the room was a bit too much and I hated lights in my room so all the time, the curtains were always drawn, well until she came and would always open the curtains every damn time. 

Everything about the set up of the room was just out of place. Like when the hell did I start putting pink, 3D butterfly stickers on my wall? 

Yuck! Never. But they were there. On that wall. Lots and lots of them. I wanted to throw up.

Then from simpler things, bigger pictures began to surface. For example, there was always this darkness in my mind, round the clock, all the time, a bleeding chaos in my head and anger. Oh, I was always riding on anger. But when I woke up in that world, I felt none of those. My head was light and empty of shadows. I felt no remorse, no pain, no anger. I didn't feel like the weight of a nation was resting on my shoulder. 

I felt nothing. 

Nothing but a deep longing in my heart though. A fervid yearning for something, for someone. An incomprehensible desire for her presence. Yes, her scent lingered in the air of the blinding white room. The painting I made of her wrapped in silk months ago, hung on the wall opposite the bed. And a poster of a cute-looking Asian boy which was printed on the scream pillow she once gifted me last year, was plastered on the wall by my left hand side. 

Yet I couldn't see her, not even a shadow. Just her scent and it only made me want to see her more. But she wasn't there.

I then swung my feet off the bed to head outside, but the phone I never knew was resting on the nightstand began to blare out an alarm set for 5PM, and the alarm was labelled, time for evening walk.

My eyes widened in horror at the time. I was a busy man. Even in my sleep I was working, and before the clock would hit 5AM, I was up and about. And I would hardly rest, let alone sleep. How then did I take a nap mid afternoon to wake up at 5PM?

Something just wasn't right. 

Trying to lift the phone into my hand, my eyes caught a medium-sized photo frame. And It held a wedding picture of me and her. It felt a lot too strange even though the image alone stirred a lot of butterflies in my stomach. I had always thought of marriage with her. Because I wanted her and no one else. I didn't desire to ever let her slip off my fingers. She was the only woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. If I lived to be hundred or died at an early age of fifty, I wanted to spend every one of those moments, good or bad with her. So yes, it was only natural that I had so many engagement rings in my possession because I knew she was very picky and I needed her to take her time to pick the one she loved the most.

But I wasn't going to give her a ring until she was going off to college. And the last time I checked, she hadn't even written college entrance exams, let alone get admission into the university. So when did we get married?