A bright future for us

Several years have passed. Ryusui's business flourished; Sai created and recreated a bunch of video games, making him the head of the video game and computer branch; Chelsea traveled the world to explore and look for more 'besties'; Gen became a diplomat, regularly traveling on business, which he found exhausting, but never refused to do it. Slowly and surely, the Kingdom of Science developed and civilization was restored. It still wasn't to 21st century standards, but it came to a point where everyone could live comfortably, and that's what mattered to you.
And you... You had your work cut out for you.
You launched a restoration program to re-record all of music's history, got your radio show, your multiple tv appearances, your concerts, plus the other branches of show-business you had to keep an eye on and manage. But Xeno taught you how to balance out work in a healthy way, and you had a huge help from all your friends in the other branches, and all the musicians you've revived so far. You got to collaborate with a bunch of your favorite artists, and you got Miku singing and composing lessons. He's on his way to become this stone world's first ever composer AI. On your end, creativity was through the roof!

And it was the same for Senku. You knew that because these days, he hardly ever leaves his lab. You figured he was working on this really big project, the one he wanted the Why-men to help him out on, so you didn't complained.
Except today! Because there was no way in hell he would miss Taiju and Yuzuriha's wedding!
You passed by and said hello to all the scientists from across the world, sent here to study the broken medusas, and barged into Senku's lab.
"Senku! This is like the event of the millennium! Get out here..." your voice trailed off.
Papers, scattered everywhere on the floor and the desk Senku was sitting at. He was sinking back in his chair, a hand to his forehead, hiding the dark circles under his eyes. What caught your attention however was the giant machine behind the desk, shaped like the petrification devices. It looked to be halfway done.

"What is that?"
Senku inhaled.
"Time machine." he exhaled.
You jaw dropped and you looked at him, his back facing you.
"Why?" you slowly asked.
"To stop the petrification from ever happening." he said in a monotonous voice.
Your heart dropped.
'That's this secret science project?' you thought, a bit disturbed. 'Is that supposed to be exciting?!'

"Returning to the past to prevent incursion upon your Earth," Hatsu, set on the desk, said. "will avert numerous deaths of my kind."
"Hatsu..." you took a step forward. "Has your kind ever travelled through time?"
"Negative."
"Something like this brings so many questions along. If we change the past, will our present change, or will it create a whole other timeline and dimension? Honestly, I don't want to find out." you looked at Senku. "If it's the first option, then... Everything that happened will be erased. All the people we met, all the friendships we've made...we'll return to being total strangers. Chrome, Kohaku, Kaseki," you gestured to the door. "all the stone world people will cease to even exist! That'd be like... That'd be genocide. We can't risk something like this, not for all the exciting science in the world."
"I know." Senku said. "I dropped the project."

Your shoulders dropped. He hunched forward and intertwined his fingers together, pressing his joined, slightly shaking hands on his forehead as he looked down.
"I thought...I thought I could save everyone."
You opened your mouth to say something, but then closed it.
'Right. Throughout this whole journey, the only people who died were Byakuya and his friends.'
"So, heh, guess he's really gone then."
There was a slight crack in his voice. It broke your heart. You went up to him and pushed his chair so that he would face you. Seeing the look on his face, you hugged him tightly.
"He loves you," you said softly. "you know that."
He sniffed and hugged you back. The two of you stayed like this for a while.
"His whole life, he worked so that we could rebuild humanity, got us companions and materials we would've never found ourselves." you leaned back and looked at him, smiling. "If he saw what we achieved, the world we're living in right now, he would be so happy and proud of you."
You placed a hand on his cheek and wiped a tear away with your thumb. He sniffed again and smiled, his eyebrows furrowed.