What if...

"Yes Taiju!" Yuzuriha nodded. "I will go out with you!"
Taiju laughed his heart out and picked her up in his joy, spinning around. Meanwhile, three out of four of the boys watching them by the window sighed in defeat.
"Kukuku!" Senku smirked. "Alright, pay up!"
As his club-mates were reaching into their wallet, he glanced up at the horizon towards the sky. A certain feeling of discomfort made him frowned slightly, as if he was expecting something to appear. But he didn't know what.

"I, am, so, happy for you guys!" you clapped your hands between every pauses.
You Senku and Taiju were going back to class. You were walking backwards in front of the two boys. Taiju laughed and scratched the back of his head, blushing slightly.

"So (Y/n), how was that new trumpet?" Senku asked.
"Oh my god, it was great!" you suddenly got more excited. "The newest model from Vincent Back, they really do make some quality shit!"
He chuckled at the stars in your eyes. And for some reason, you seemed taken aback by it.

The three of you were about to walk in the classroom when Senku's phone buzzed. He took it out and saw he got a message. He opened the messenger app and his breath was cut short.
His father has sent him a picture of the space station.
"Byakuya..."

"Yo Senku." you turned around when you noticed he stopped walking. "You're coming or-Wha-Senku?"
"Uh?"
"Senku!" Taiju looked at him with big eyes. "You're crying!"
You harshly hushed him. Senku placed a hand on his cheek and felt it being drenched his tears. He sniffed. Why was he crying?

You gently turned him towards the wall, knowing he wouldn't want other people to see him like this.
"Hey, it's okay." you softly said, patting his back. "He'll be back before you know it."
"Right!" Taiju added. "And you can still talk."
"Yeah." he whipped his tears away, sniffing one last time. "I know."

Of course he knew! He was never affected by Byakuya's absence in any way. If anything, he was happy about it, now he could finally use the kitchen for his experiments! And when (not if) anything went south, it would remain a secret and he wouldn't have to suffer through one of those three hour lectures. Then why did this little mundane message hit him so hard?!
He didn't have a clear answer for this, and he kept thinking about whatever could've been the cause during class. Not like he was missing much by not listening anyway. It was math! Something just felt...off. And he was bothered by it. Which was just so strange to him, considering absolutely nothing was out of the ordinary.

At some point, you were called to the board, and with a groan of distress, you stood up. That snapped Senku out of his thoughts. Just now he realized that he has been staring at you this whole time. He blinked twice and turned to face his desk, frowning slightly.
Why...why was he staring at you? However, he didn't linger on it as much. It did happen, he'd stare into nothing while deep in thoughts in the middle of class. It just happened that this time, he was staring in your direction. He wasn't actually staring at *you*.
He looked ahead, and as expected, you were doing your secret sign that said 'please I beg you give me the answer', as usual. He signed different numbers and you wrote them down.

Between two classes, you went over to his desk.
"Senku, you okay?"
"Mmh?"
"You seem pretty out of it today."
"...Don't you feel like," he paused, trying to find the right words. "like...something's missing?"
You glanced around before leaning closer.
"Is this about your dad again?" you quietly said. "Like we said, it's okay."
"No! It's nothing like that!" he groaned in annoyance. "Just forget it."
"No, okay I'm sorry." you sat of the seat in front of his desk. "Tell me more about it."

He looked at you for a moment before sighing through his nose and resting his chin on the palm of his hand, his elbow resting on the desk.
"I just can't shake that feeling that something's not right. And you know how weird it is coming from me." you nodded. "Ever since Taiju's confession, it's-"
You puffed a chuckle.
"Oh my god, Senku~." you smiled at him. "Taiju will still be your best friend, he'll still help you with your science. Just that sometimes Yuzuriha will tag along. And after helping you, they'll go on cute dates."