VS Leviathan! (End!)

Asuka Bridge

1,6 kilometers away from the Asuka was the figure of a monster that was about to approach the ship, angry, roaring repeatedly, and twisting its body like an eel.

GROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAARRR...!

"It's like an Orca Attack...! The scale is off by an order of magnitude..."

Seeing the Leviathan ride up to the seafloor from the CIC, Commander Okahashi murmured at something he'd never seen before. On the surface of the monster's body were several indentations that appeared to have been made when it was hit by Type 12 short torpedoes. A small amount of bleeding could be seen from them.

'Short torpedo attacks can only inflict a graze wound... However, seeing that the Leviathan had no difficulty in breathing even on land, I wonder if it is a mammal... No, that is not important now.'

Okahashi was contemplating the ecology of the legendary monster.

"Haha! Just a bigger target! Rather convenient! The legendary monster is now helpless!"

Lieutenant Commander Matsumoto, the chief navigator, looked at the Leviathan, which is sitting on the seafloor and seems to be more difficult to move than underwater, and shouted triumphantly. At that moment, however, "that sound" began to echo through the sea.

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING...!

"The Leviathan begins what appears to be the charging of a flame beam!"

"!!"

The charging sound of the flame beam that melted the fuselage of an SH-60K Seahawk and shot it down began to echo all around again. Looking ahead, they saw the Leviathan opening its mouth toward them, about to send a flame beam flying.

"All vessels report! This is Minorikawa! High heat reaction occurred inside the target!"

A similar report comes in from Lieutenant Minorikawa, who was conducting Forward-Looking Infrared (FLIR) surveillance of the Leviathan via Electro-Optical Targeting System. Thermal energy was being focused into the Leviathan's oral cavity.

'Here it comes! That beam has a range of over one kilometer...!'

The appearance of the Leviathan's greatest threat left Okahashi and the other members of the Asuka's bridge shuddering in fear.

"Can it reach us...!? If we take a hit from that thing, the railgun barrels will melt down and become useless...!"

Lieutenant Junior Grade Nakatsuki, a navigator, exclaimed. If the railgun, the centerpiece of the operation, is rendered useless, there is nothing they can do.

"How many seconds until the power charge is complete!?" Okagashi demanded the CIC in a voice filled with frustration.

"Condenser 2 is 50%, 75% of the total charge is complete in 16 seconds!"

'Still more than 10 seconds to go...!'

Sixteen seconds, which would normally pass in the blink of an eye in a casual situation, seemed like an eternity to not only him but to all five members of the sniper unit.

WHIIIIIIIIING...!

The filling sound of the flame beam emitted from the Leviathan becomes louder. The glowing fireball in its mouth seemed to be about to fly out toward them at any moment.

'Shall we fire it now...? No, we don't really know how fast we can fire our APFSDS at a speed that will break through its armor and magical barrier...! Perhaps they could have used half the power. No, maybe the current 75% charge isn't enough...!'