Chapter Ten

*Ariana's POV*

I go to school on Monday morning feeling like everything is going to be okay. By the time I'm done with my fourth class of the day, I still haven't seen Nathan.

When I finally find him, I walk up to him happily.

"Hey," I say.

"Uh, hi," he responds, not meeting my eyes.

I frown. "Are you okay?"

He nods and says unconvincingly, "Yeah, great."

"You don't seem so," I note. "Seriously, what's wrong?"

He shakes his head. "You're just not the girl I thought you were."

What?

But... our date went so well. Didn't it? I mean, obviously it did. We both had a great time and we talked and laughed... Was it something I said? No, he kissed me when he got me back home. What was it then?

"What do you mean?" I ask him.

"Ariana, please drop the act. I mean, the stuff I've heard..." he shakes his head shamefully.

My heart sinks. The stuff he heard? What stuff? What the hell is happening right now?

"I really don't get what you mean," I say, my voice trembling.

He looks around. "Look, I have to go. When you finally decide on fixing up your little situation, tell me. Or not. I just have a class right now."

"But the bell didn't even ring yet," I demand.

He walks away, ignoring me completely.

I replay his words in my mind: when you finally decide on fixing up your little situation, tell me. Or not.

Or not.

OR NOT.

The words really sting-literally. What little situation? I can hear my heartbeat in my ears as I walk over to Danielle.

Before I even have the chance to ask her what's going on, she starts to talk.

"Ethan and Matt are really playing their cards right," she says; worry filling her eyes. "I didn't think they'd take it that far."

"Take what far?" I demand. "Danielle, tell me what's going on. Right now," I add.

Honestly, I've never been more scared in my entire life... I think.

She grimaces. "They may have spread a few rumors..."

I grit my teeth. "Like..?"

She bites her lip. "Like the fact that you're a lesbian and you have a part time job as a prostitute."

My jaw drops. All the way down to the floor.

I open my mouth to say something but no words come out. My vocal cords don't even bother vibrating, knowing I already have nothing to say to this. Nothing at all.

"Everyone believes them," she looks at me apologetically. "I'm really sorry, Ari. You know how convincing they can be. Everyone here practically worships Matt and Ethan. I didn't actually think they'd take it this far."

My whole body goes numb as I make my way to the bathroom. Everything seems so blurry now. I walk to the girls' bathroom and can't help but feel every single eye burning into me-judging me for something I'm not.

I grip the edge of the sink and let the tears stream down my cheeks. I whimper and tremble as I continue to cry. I feel like my entire world is falling apart. How did I get myself into this mess? Why did this ever happen to me? Why? Just why?