Chapter Fifteen

*Ethan's POV*

Joseph sits down on the chair facing my mom's while Ariana just stands there looking completely lost and confused.

I'm not gonna lie, I feel just as confused as her right now.

Ariana suddenly snaps out of her daze and smiles at my mom and Luke.

"It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Miller," she says, shaking her hand.

My mom nods at her.

Since Luke's enjoying his time sitting at the head of the table, the only empty seat left is the one in front of mine. Ariana reluctantly occupies it.

My slow brain is still trying to process what the hell she's doing here.

The waiter hands us our menus. Just when I open mine, I feel someone kick my foot. I look up and see Ariana glaring at me.

She mouths something. I recognize it as what the fuck are you doing here?

I shrug, smirking at her. Even though our parents are here, it doesn't necessarily mean I can't make her uncomfortable, right?

After we order our food, the waiter takes the menus back and we're left with nothing but our only option-communicating.

"So, how've you been, Joseph?" My mom asks.

"I've been fine, and you?" He replies. "Where's Robert? Why isn't he here tonight?"

Her face falls. "Oh, I-I'm fine. Robert's in the hospital. He was in a car accident and Sasha... was there too."

"I'm so sorry," Joseph says.

I glance at Ariana as she smiles at my mom and her dad conversing, trying to seem polite.

When she notices me staring, her face flushes and she looks down at her plate. Oh, I'm going to have fun tonight.

At times like this, I'm thankful that the table is narrower than usual, making the distance between Ariana and me as short as I need it.

I pull my chair closer and slip my hand under the table. I trail it up Ariana's bare leg and she jumps slightly, obviously startled. She shoots me a glare but I don't withdraw from my action.

"Ethan?" My mom says.

"What?" I say, suddenly aware of everyone staring. I pull my hand away from Ariana.

"Joseph just asked you a question," she says.

"Yeah?" I say, turning to him.

"I asked what school do you go to?" He questions politely.

"Uh, Westington High," I reply.

He frowns. "I didn't know you and Ariana attend the same school."

"Small world," I smirk.

"So you two already know each other?" My mom asks Ariana.

I reach my leg out and tangle it between hers.

"I-uh, we-yeah," she stutters uncomfortably.

Her knee hits the table and the utensils rattle.

Everyone stares at her.

"What's wrong, Ari?" I ask her, feigning innocence.

She licks her lips nervously-I like that. "Nothing, I'm just a very... shy person."

"Ariana and I are great friends actually," I say, as she attempts to untangle her leg from mine.

"You are?" Joseph asks, surprised.