Chapter Fifty Five

-Ethan's POV-

Despite the fact that I feel like my muscles have been grinded into dust and my head's constantly being pounded by a baseball bat, being sick isn't all that bad.

Ariana already fixed everything up for me and I'm currently laying comfortably in her bed, slumped against the headboard.

The only downside is that she keeps moving around and going in and out of the room.

"Would you just sit down already?" I complain.

My phone starts to ring. It's my mom. I don't care how old I am, a call from an angry mom still scares the bejeezus out of me.

"Are you gonna get that?" Ariana asks.

I shrug.

She places her hands on her hips.

"Sassy," I nod at her.

"Who're you trying to avoid?" She asks suspiciously.

I hesitate. Then, I blow out a breath and answer my phone.

It's now or never. Scratch that, it's now or when I go back home. And I'd really rather not face her with the temper I've heated up for her.

The second I do, I wish I didn't.

"ETHAN MILLER," her voice booms from the speaker. I move my phone away from my ear and wince, listening. "I'VE BEEN WORRIED SICK AND CALLING YOU NONSTOP ALL DAY, YOUNG MAN."

"Yeah," I say hoarsely. "I know but-"

"BUT NOTHING. YOU ARE GROUNDED YOU ARE MOST DEFINITELY GROUNDED, ETHAN MILLER. I CAN DEAL WITH YOU GOING TO PARTIES AND COMING BACK A LITTLE LATE BUT TO HAVE YOU FALL OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH FOR TWO DAYS IS NOT SOMETHING TO BE EASILY FORGIVEN."

"Hold that thought," I say.

"YOU DID NOT JUST-"

I press the screen onto my shirt and look up at Ariana.

"I'll leave," she says, stifling a laugh.

I roll my eyes. "No, stay. This'll only take a second, yeah?"

"-AND I'VE ALWAYS GIVEN YOU WHATEVER YOU WANTED AND YOU REPAY ME BY GIVING ME A HARD TIME LIKE THIS. ETHAN, COME HOME THIS INSTANT."

"I'm sick," I say abruptly.

"YOU'RE -- what?"

"I'm really sick and..." I meet Ariana's eyes. "I'm at Ariana's house right now."

"Have you been there the whole time?" She seems to have calmed down.

I nod. Then I remember she can't see me so I say "yes".

"Why didn't you tell me you were there?" She asks, sounding distressed.

"You didn't really give me a chance to talk, did you?"

"No, I mean why didn't you tell me earlier? I thought you were at Matt's house or Kyle's -- you know I don't like you befriending them. They're bad influences and-"

"You don't have to worry about Matt anymore," I cut in.

I hear her sigh. "Come home, Ethan, we need to talk."

"I'll be there..." I glance at Ariana as she folds my shirt and pants and I smile, "tomorrow."

My mom hesitates. "Tomorrow?"

"Yeah," I reply shortly.

"Ethan," she says and I swear I just know she's smiling like a maniac right now. "Is Ariana your new girlfriend?"