Chapter Fifty Six

-Ariana's POV-

Nathan being here definitely cannot help Ethan's fever disappear at all.

"I was about to ask you the same question," Nathan growls, glaring at me.

I gulp nervously.

"Nathan, it's really none of your business who stays at my house anymore," I note. I turn to Ethan. "Nathan was just leaving."

I make to push Nathan to the door once again but he holds his ground.

"No, I'm not leaving, Ariana," he demands. "Are you two... together now?"

I glance at Ethan. "Yes. He's my boyfriend. And you're not, so please leave."

His eyes widen. "I can't believe you're falling for him!"

"And why wouldn't she?" Ethan challenges.

"Where do I start?" He bursts out. "You spread rumors about her, you harassed her-"

"Would you let that go?" I tug at a strand of my hair. "Things are different now."

"How?" He demands.

"I changed. Sort of." Ethan says.

Nathan laughs. "Sure you did. You're still the same shitbag-"

I quickly turn to Ethan and stop him from leaping at Nathan. If there's a really bad time for the two of them to start a fight it's definitely now.

"Stop it," I say. "Both of you. Nathan leave right now."

Nathan stares. "You can't be serious."

"I am."

He gives me one more look before leaving the house and slamming the door behind him. I wince.

"Why was he here?" Ethan asks angrily.

I shake my head. "It's nothing."

"No. Answer me."

I rub my forehead wearily. I'm so tired of this.

"He was just... He wanted to get back together."

He clenches his jaw. "And what did you tell him."

I roll my eyes. "Obviously I didn't want to."

He suppresses a grin. "And I'm your boyfriend?"

I bite my lip to stop from smiling like a maniac. "Yes."

He moves closer but I press my palm to his chest to push him away -- the way I've done countless times.

"Ari, you can be serious," he whines.

"No kissing until you get better," I remind him.

He pouts. His eyes have dark circles around them and his temple and cheekbone are still bluish -- but he still looks as cunning as ever.

-Ethan's POV-

We're back in Ariana's room. I'm all tucked in bed and shit while Ariana's sitting on the edge of it. She has some serious issues when it comes to bacteria I swear.

"Who were you talking to earlier?" She asks me. "When you were on the phone."

"Jared," I lie.

She gives me a look. "Jared was yelling at you?"

I hesitate. "Fine. It was my... mother."

"Your mother," she repeats, smiling now.

"Don't look at me like that," I turn away awkwardly.