heavy rain (day 48)

When I left the broom closet on this morning it was still raining from the night before, a very steady rain that wouldn't budge and honestly I was okay with that. As time went on the rain had become comforting, like an old toy ring I once had as a child.

I started my day with a walk around the school, gazing through the smudged glass as raindrops ran down them. The rain was calm, no thunder or lightning just water falling down from grey clouds.

I walked for a while until I got to the gym, when my eyes met those doors I froze. I watched as the door opened and a man stepped out with tacky running shoes, Count Olaf. I started to back up while keeping my eyes on him like he was a crocodile.

"What?" He said

I stopped walking away and looked at him in udder confusion.

"What are you doing?" I asked

"Going to get breakfast if that's okay with you?" He said

"Y-yeah." I said as I turned and ran away.

What the hell was that? Why was he acting normal?

I ignored that and headed to class, while on my way the rain started to pick up and you could hear it hitting the roof. The sound made me feel better but it still didn't get rid of the pit in my stomach much like the one I was thrown in.

I sat in that class for longer than I could handle, I raised my hand and went to the bathroom. As I stood in the door I could see Carmelita in the other class staring at me. I wish I could put her in that pit and fix whatever her parents did to her.

I walked past the bathroom and into the library, hopefully Olivia would be there.

As the door clicked open I could hear Olivia jump, I walked in and closed the door.

"Oh!" She yelled as she ran over to me

Without hesitation she grabbed me and hugged me, this hurt so I had to push her off, I felt very bad for doing it.

"I'm sorry, that just hurts." I said quietly

"Oh, don't be, that's my fault." She said

"It's so nice to see you." she said with a huge smile.

I didn't expect her to be so happy to see me, I don't think I've ever seen her so happy.

"What brings you here rose?" She asked in a soft voice much like my mother's.

"I thought I would just stop in and see you." I said

"I'm so glad you did!" She said

"I am too but I should get back to class." I said

"Oh yes I understand, don't hesitate to come back!" She said

"I won't." I said as I walked out.

Being around her like that sort of made me tired, you have to put out a lot of energy to seem so happy. I desperately needed more sleep, more food. I hadn't felt like eating very much and when I tried to sleep I would wake up from nightmares in a panic. I would have given anything for a night back in my old bed at my old home, anyone would really.

I walked back to class with the sound of rain hitting the roof almost carrying me there. It was so weird to just be in the halls with no one there, I liked being alone like this, that was the kind of alone I needed not the kind I had in the pit.

I felt safe again, at least for a little while.

When I got to the door I hesitated, I really didn't want to go back in but of course I did. Everyone looked up at me, I felt like a freak. I sat down but this one boy kept looking at me, he seemed to not know that I noticed.

I hadn't seen him very much before, I never had a reason to pay attention to him. He had black hair that fell on his face like my brother Duncan's did. He had a book with sketches on his desk, they weren't very good so he probably did it because he was bored and not as a hobby.

Why was he looking at me? Of course the thought of him working with Olaf crossed my mind but what good would that do?

Why would Count Olaf want him to do this? It seemed to be to much of a stretch. So the same question stood.

Why was he looking at me?

He's the only one to ever look back at me for longer than three seconds, not that I minded people ignoring me. This just made it way more obvious to how weird it was.

So once again, why had he looking at me?