get away (day 84)

Groaning and loud breathing flew through my ears. I sat up to see Klaus moving and julting in a panic, he must have been having a nightmare. I wasn't shocked by any means.

I turned to look at my siblings and violet all asleep, I remember noticing Duncan was a few feet away from violet and Isadora. The room was still barely lit, I assumed it was pretty early but in that school you never really knew. The absurd weather could make 15:00 look like 1:00, pitch black in the middle of the day.

Rustling sheets caught my attention again, Klaus wouldn't stop moving. I watched as he continued struggling, growing in volume as he went on. That was too much for me, I stood very slowly, flinching at the cracking of my knees.

Tiptoing over to his bed, I hesitantly lifted my arm to shake him awake. As my hand made contact with his skin, I watched as his eyes shot open and looked down to see that his hand was now around my arm in the blink of an eye.

Klaus loosened his grip on my arm and took a deep breath, sitting up to look at me.

"I'm sorry." He sighed.

His hair was a mess and his uniform was twisted from all the moving, not to mention the demon like scratches across his face.

"It's fine, just please listen to me, do you remember what happened?" I asked him in a very serious tone as I sat at the end of his bed.

Klaus closed his eyes, I watched as he furrowed his brows and his hand started to shake.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

Klaus's eyes shot open again.

"Yeah uh, yeah." He said.

"So, do you remember?" I asked.

Klaus let out a deep sigh.

"Yes." He said.

"Thank God, my head is killing me and I can't remember what happened." I said.

"I'm not surprised." He said with a slight smile.

"Well, you hit your head on the wall." He said turning around and pointing to the blood splatter.

"Yeah I assumed, but how did that happen?" I asked leaning in to listen.

"Okay so let me explain before that. Of course we start with Count Olaf, I remember being in the pit before he dropped bugs in and locked me in." He said.

"Ew." I said.

"Yeah." He said rolling his eyes.

"There were just so many bugs, I hid in the corner but they got over to me and crawled in me. It wasn't that bad but then the man with no hands poked me with a needle and then..." Klaus explained.

"And then..." I continued for him.

"Sorry, sorry. I remember being in here and feeling the bugs on me but I couldn't get them off. I kept trying and trying, they were biting. It got bad and I couldn't get them off so I tried harder, I scratched..." Klaus said slowly reaching up to feel his face.

"Then you came over and tried to stop me, you couldn't do it from where you were so you went behind me to pull my arms back." He said.

Klaus took a deep breath.

"Then I... I pushed back and hit your head with mine. I guess that knocked us out." He said full of guilt.

I watched as Klaus picked at his fingernails while he explained. His skin around them was red and tender, some peeling. as he talked his eyes shifted around the bed almost like a twitching.

"That feels... familiar." I said.

Glimpses of what happened flashed in my mind as I looked up at my blood on the wall behind Klaus.

"I-im sorry." He said avoiding my gaze.

"Klaus, you can't be serious. I'm not upset, I know you didn't do that." I said.

"But I did." He said.

"It wasnt your choice." I said wrapping my arms around him.

When my arms reached his back, he flinched in pain. I forgot that he had bandaged his back, I never figured out what it was. I made sure I remembered to ask him when we were alone next.

"Hey." Klaus whispered.

I let go and looked behind me, Violet was looking back. A large smile grew on my face, completely forgetting about his back for the moment.

"Hey." She said in a tired small voice.

"How you feeling?" She asked as she walked over to us.

"My head hurts." Klaus said.

"Hmm... And what about?" She said pointing to her face.

"It only hurts if I touch it." He explained.

Violet shook her head, covering her mouth with her hand. I could tell the scratches on his face freaked her out. There may have even been a little doubt in her mind. Either her brother was crazy or her friend attacked him, both being very unfortunate circumstances.

"Is there anything we can do to help them?" I asked.

Violet shook her head.

"I don't think so, I'll just have to wait it out. Injuries on faces are supposed to heal faster, right?" Klaus said.

"They usually do." I said as I traced my forehead with my fingers, rubbing them along my scars.

Violet ran her fingers through her hair, I could see something was bothering her. If I was her I'd be stressed too, she couldn't look away without her brother showing up half dead.

The longer we stayed there the more aparent it became, we HAD to leave. One of those times we wouldn't just be near death, we had to get out!

I looked over to Klaus and noticed him looking behind violet.

Truthfully none of that mattered because right after I saw him I also passed out.

Violet shook me and what not, it didn't help, it never really did very often. She panicked and woke up Duncan who wasn't awake yet, Klaus had been looking at Isadora who had just woken.

They crowded around me but eventually realized there was nothing they could do. I had taken multiple blows to the head over a short period of time, I'm surprised I was even alive to be able to pass out.

I had fallen asleep after passing out so no one noticed when I was able to get up. Maybe that's for the best, I hated feeling so fragile compared to my siblings and violet.

One thing was very clear to me after that day.

We HAD to get away.