no winning (day 74-75)

Whatever the Hookhanded man used to knock me out must have been strong.

Vivid nightmares ran through my mind.

Technically they weren't nightmares, they were memories. I kept reliving all the horrible events. My entire life had become a nightmare.

The last one to go through my mind was Daniel, I thought I got to a point where I could ignore and forget him but I was so far off.

"No!! STOP!!" I screamed jumping up in the bed.

"Rose!" Klaus yelled scared, he had been asleep.

Klaus ran to the side of my bed.

"Ow." I said sad laying back.

"I wish that would stop happening." I cried grabbing my stomach.

"I know what you mean." Klaus agreed.

Klaus pulled his shirt up to show his scar.

"It still hurts a little when I jump like that too, I think I might have messed it up when it was healing or something." He said.

I hadn't seen his scar in a long time, I knew he had it but actually seeing it again just made me feel so bad.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"For what?" He asked.

"It's my fault you got that." I said.

"No it's not, even if it was then we'd be even." He laughed.

Klaus didn't mean it though, he still felt overwhelming amounts of guilt. It didn't seem like he'd ever forgive himself. Klaus wasn't as used to all these horrible things happening like I was.

Count Olaf had already brought me close to death about three times then, he only did once to Klaus. Those would not be the only times he did this.

I looked over at the dark window and watched as the field lit up with lightning. There was hardly any rain which was confusing because this storm was very bright and loud.

The crash of thunder from the lightning came and I almost jumped out of my skin.

"You okay? It's just thunder." He said.

"I know it's just thunder, I'm fine." I rolled my eyes.

I never used to jump at thunder like that, of course when I was younger I wasn't used to storms yet and would jump at the noise but it never gave me the panicked feeling I was feeling in that moment.

My fingers twitched as I tried to hide that I was shaking. I tried to take some deep breaths but it wasn't doing anything.

"How long do you think I'll be in here?" I ask Klaus, trying to make conversation.

"Well I don't know, how do you feel?" He asked me.

"I've been worse, it hurts pretty bad." I said.

I couldn't really see Klaus very clearly, the room was very dark. I could see his outline and specifically his glasses. I couldn't tell if he was thinking or just sitting there, I was usually very good at knowing how he feels, he doesn't hide it very good. If I can't see Klaus then I can't tell.

"I'd say a week." He said after a concerning amount of time.

"Why's that?" I ask to keep him going.

"You're strong, you've made it this far." He said.

"On the other hand, I've been through a lot so now I'm weaker. Maybe it will take longer for my body to heal than it would have before." I suggest.

"It could but I don't think it will, at least I hope it doesn't." He said with a little giggle.

It was nice to hear Klaus sound happy again whether it was real or not.

"Klaus." I said.

"Yeah?" Klaus asked back quieter.

"Thank you so much." I said.

"For what?" He asked.

"For being so understanding, you don't deserve what happened to you. If I could go back I'd do anything to keep you away from this. I'm so sorry about the letter, I tried everything to get count Olaf to let me stop." I blurt out.

"Rose, it's okay! That was forever ago now. It wasn't your fault." Klaus said putting his hand on my arm.

"Sure it was a while ago but it's still affecting you to this day." I said.

"Rose, its okay." He said.

"No it's not, none of this is okay." I said.

"I know, we just need to survive until be can get out of this place." He said.

"It's like Alcatraz." He said.

"At least you can escape Alcatraz, I doubt anyone's ever made it out of here on their own accord." I said hopelessly.

"I'm sorry I keep doing this, I'm just tired." I said.

"I understand." He said.

We both sat and listened to the storm, in a mutual agreement to stop bringing up all the bad things we had to deal with.

I sat thinking about what my siblings were doing, they hadn't talked to me in a while.

Another loud crash of thunder shook the room, I jumped even worse than before. Klaus moved his hand from my arm to my hand and rested his head against the side of the bed.

As the hours passed the sky didn't light up, no sun could penetrate the thick storm clouds.

"Klaus, you should get to class." I said.

Klaus sighed.

"You're right." He said standing.

"I'll be back at lunch, feel better." He said turning to leave.

Klaus closed the door behind him, I was alone for good this time. The room got even darker as the fake flames from the halls were the only source of light.

I tried to sleep as much as I could, every time I fell asleep I woke up to thunder or from nightmares.

My eyes filled with tears, I was utterly exhausted.

Tears ran down my face like the rain on the windows. I cried and cried and cried until that finally put me to sleep for good.

I couldn't wait until I could get out of the nurses office, not only was I in pain and tired but I was so incredibly bored. There was nothing in there other than me and my thoughts for hours on end, of course Klaus came around but that only made me feel worse.

There was no winning.

No matter what I did it was horrible.

Life was horrible.