THIRTY-SIX

BEY POV

I jumped out of my sleep when I felt Onika jump out hers.

I was laying on her chest so she almost snapped my neck by jumping up the way she did.

"What's wrong?" I was still half asleep but I reached for her and she moves back.

"Don't touch me please." She didn't sound mad. She sounded scared and like she just finished running a marathon.

"What's wrong?" Hearing her tone made me fully wake up. 

"Nothing. I just- I need to go." She got out of bed and started quickly putting her clothes back on.

"What? What happened?"

She didn't say anything and I heard her choke back a sob. Now I was really confused.

I got out of bed and I tried to hug her but she just pushed my arms off her. "Don't touch me. Please."

"What's wrong? Why don't you want me to touch you?"

She shook her head no and wiped her falling tears. I don't think I've ever seen her cry before now.

"Please just tell me what's wrong and I'll make it better, I promise. What's wrong?"

She shook her head no again. I guess I'm going to have to guess.

"Did I do something?" She shook her head no, good.

"Did you have a nightmare?" I don't think nightmares are that real but she woke up crying.

She shook her head yes. Okay, that's not that bad.

"A nightmare about what?"

"They- they were upset."

I've never seen her like this before, I didn't really know what to do. I'm not that good at comforting people.

"They? Who's they?"

"Him and Isis."

"Isis? Who's Isis?" The farther into the conversation we get, the more confused I am.

"My baby."

Oh. Now I understand.

I feel bad for her. I couldn't Imagine losing my husband and baby at the same time.

"I'm assuming 'him' is your husband. You had a dream about them?"

She nodded.

"And they were upset?"

She nodded again.

"About?" That's as far as I understand.

"You."

"Me?"

She just nodded. Okay, so she had a nightmare about her dead husband and child where they were upset because of me.

"Just to be clear, they were mad because you're with me?"

She nodded. "Onika you're allowed to move on."

She shook her head no and wiped the tears on her cheeks. "I'm wrong. I- I-"

She broke down crying and I pulled her into my lap. I know she didn't want me to touch her but I needed to try to comfort her at least.

"You're happy with me right?"

She nodded her head yes. "Okay and wouldn't he want you to be happy?"

"Not without him. I shouldn't."

Anything I say would be offensive. What I really wanted to say was life goes on and she needs to move with it or she's going to get left behind. I wasn't going to say that though.