Chapter 13

I was walking around the house jammin' out to some Elvis music when I heard the phone ring. "Hello?" I asked. All I heard was a bunch of laughing coming from what seemed like an old man. "Who is this?" I asked, petrified. He just kept laughing. "WHO ARE YOU?!" I screamed. He stopped laughing abruptly. "I'm your worst nightmare, Ramsey Marie Morris." His voice was deep and grainy. "How-how did you know my name?" I was shaking. He just started laughing again loudly then he just hung up. I figured it was some Soc pranking me. So I just brushed it off. I heard Eskimo's nails clacking against the wood floor. I picked him up and turned off the music. I sat down on the couch and turned on the TV. Eskimo curled up onto my lap. I wanted to forget all about that weird conversation. I could hear Johnny talking Ponyboy in his room. I soon started to drift off to sleep. When I woke up it was just starting to get dark. Friday was just starting to end. "Johnny?! You still here?!" I called. "Yea! I'm still here, Ray!" Johnny called back. I decided to get up and start dinner. I planned on making spaghetti and meat balls. I filled the pot up with water and put it on the stove to boil. I preheated the oven for the meat balls. I heard the phone ringing and I answered it. "Hello?" I asked, the grogginess still in my voice. It was the old man and he was laughing again. "Let me guess, you're just gonna sit there and just laugh and laugh like a coward instead of saying something like a real man?" I was getting catty. This guy was just getting strait up annoying. "Oh, I'll show you a real man." The old man chuckled. "Good luck ya old fart." I wasn't in the mood to cuss at anyone so I just hung up on him. I shook my head and rubbed my hands up and down my face. I walked into my room and brushed out my blonde hair that reached my lower back. I loved my hair but sometimes I just want to shave my head. I put it up into a messy bun and went into the bathroom. I splashed ice-cold water onto my face and that woke me right up. I walked back into the kitchen to see Johnny standing at the sink getting some water. "Hey Ray, who were you talking to?" Johnny tipped his cup toward me and stuck his pointer finger out. "I don't even know. Some weird old man or just some idiotic Socs pulling a prank." Johnny just shook his head. "Idiots. Haven't they learned that prank calling is a waste of time?" Johnny asked. "I guess not." I shrugged as I put the hard spaghetti noddles into the bubbling water. I pulled the ground hamburger meat out of the fridge and started to roll it up into little balls and place them on some wax paper. After I cooked everything Johnny and I were sitting on the couch watching some comedy show. Then the most annoying thing happened. The phone started ringing. I groaned and set my plate onto the coffee table. "Hello?" I asked. The same low, grainy laugh flowed through the phone and made me cringe. "Have you checked on your boyfriend yet?"