Chapter 20

Soda stared at me wide eyed as tears fell down his cheeks. I don't think he even knew he was crying. He went white and he started shaking. I grabbed his arms and he snapped out of it. "I know someone that can help us." He said to me as he walked out into the living room. A few minutes later Soda came back in with Darry following behind him. Darry shut the door and sat down in the bed. Darry grabbed my hand and pulled me towards him as Soda sat next to him. "Soda pulled me into the kitchen and told me what happened. If you want we can take you to the hospital." I shook my head no. I didn't want the whole world to find out just yet. "I had Ponyboy go down to the police station with Dally to tell the police what happened. They'll probably come by in the morning." Soda said. I nodded trying to hold the tears back. "Ramsey dear, you have to look at me." I looked into Darry's eyes. I've never seen him so serious. "We need to get you checked out to make sure nothing is ripped or worse. Since you don't want to go to the hospital either I can check you out myself and have Soda stand by or I can guide Soda through it. It's completely up to you." I looked at Soda then back to Darry. "You do it Darry. It'll be quicker, plus I don't want Soda to see the tearing if there is any." Soda smiled and nodded at me. He understood. He trusted his brother. Darry looked at his younger sibling. "Go get the first aid kit. Ramsey, I need you to put on one of Soda's shirts and take off your shorts and stuff so that we can wash them." I nodded and Soda handed me one of his worn over sized shirts. He kissed my forehead and went to go grab the first aid kit. Darry stepped outside so I could change. I took off my shirt and my blood stained shorts and underwear. I slipped his shirt on and told Darry I was decent. Darry opened the door. Both Darry and Soda came in. Soda grabbed my clothes and Darry was carrying a towel and a first aid kit. Soda shut his eyes shut and let out a sigh when he saw the blood. He kissed my forehead one last time and went to put my clothes into the wash. Darry was washing his hands and putting on gloves. Darry came back in and I laid out the towel and laid down on it. We waited for Soda to come back in before he started looking for any tears. Soda came back in after five minutes and shut the door behind him. I laid down on my back in the middle of the bed so Soda could sit down next to me. He held my hand. I bent my keens up and spread my legs. I felt very awkward but I've known Darry since I was 2-years-old. "You ready Ramsey?" Darry asked, in a calm voice. "Yeah." I reply, my voice quivering. Soda smiled at me reassuringly. "Okay. I'll tell you what I'm going to do when I do it so you can prepare yourself." I nodded. "Okay, I'm going to begin looking." Before Darry started I stopped him to ask him a question. "Darry, wait. I have a question." I told him as I sat up.  "Ask away, sweetie." Darry replied. "Do you know how to do any of this?" I wasn't trying to be mean. I was actually really curious. Darry smiled at me and nodded. "I took a rape course in college when I still went. I wanted to know what to look for because I wanted to become an ER doctor and just in case I met anyone who got raped so that I could help them." He looked into my eyes as he told me all of this. I smiled and laid back down. Darry started examining me. And just like he said he would, he told me what he was going to do before he did it. After about fifteen minutes Darry finished examining me. He sighed which was not a good sign. "Well," Darry said as he removed his gloves, "There is tearing. Not massive but enough that we really should take you to a doctor so you can get treatment." I sat up and nodded at him. Just as Darry closed the first aid kit there was a gentle knock on the door. Soda got up and opened the door. He opened the door to reveal Ponyboy standing there. He was ringing his hands together. "Darry, the cops are here. They want to talk to Ramsey."