Chapter 14

My stomach dropped out of my body. Sodapop hadn't called all day. I started to worry. I slammed the phone back onto the receiver and spun around as quick as I could. "Johnny go  meet me out in the car. Go!" Johnny bolted for the door as I sprinted down the hallway for my car keys. I picked Eskimo off the bed and ran out the door. I jumped into my '67 Chevy Impala and raced to the Curtis household. "Ramsey, what's going on?" Johnny had a shakiness to his voice. "I don't even know, Johnny. If I did, I would tell ya." I didn't even pull into the Curtis driveway when we got there. I parked on the side of the road in front of the gate to their house and yanked the keys out. Johnny and I bolted inside. It was dark and quiet. Too quiet. They couldn't be asleep this early, could they? I handed Eskimo to Johnny. I told Johnny to wait here. I tip toed down trough the living room and down the hallway to Soda and Pony's room. I pushed the door open and it quietly creaked open. I could see two figures sleeping. I tip toed to Soda's side of the bed and shook the shoulder of the sleeping figure. The figure moaned and rolled over. "Ramsey?" It was Soda. Thank God! Soda clicked the light on and Ponyboy moaned and rolled over onto his right side away from the light. "What's wrong ?" Soda put his hand on my lower back and pulled me closer. "I got a creepy phone call asking if I had checked on you and you hadn't called all day so I was just making sure you were okay." Soda sat up and hugged me. "I'm as good as ever. Nothing to worry about. Pone and I were just helping Darry all day so we went to bed early. Sorry I should have called first." I smiled at my boyfriend and kissed his forehead. "That's quite alright. You go back to sleep." Soda smiled at me. "Thanks, Ray. I'll call ya as soon as I wake up, okay?" He kissed my collar bone. I kissed the top of his head. "Okay." I whispered and walked out quietly so I didn't wake Pony or Darry. I looked at Johnny and smiled. I could see him relax. Eskimo was curled up in his arms fast asleep. "Let's go home." Johnny and I got in the car and drove home. When we got home we finished eating our dinner and we sat on the couch until we fell asleep. I woke up to the phone ringing and I thought it was just the creepy old man again. Little did I know if I had answered that god forsaken phone Mac wouldn't be in the hospital.