Chapter 128 - Belmeruttons (Buttons x Elmer)

- Chapter 128 - Hospital Troubles with Elmer, Buttons, and Elmer's Siblings -
Warnings: angst (but y'all seem to love that, don't ya?), crying, injuries, blood, hospitals, needles, screaming, abuse
Modern AU (minus Covid)
Third Person POV

"No."

The doctor blinked, stopping in his tracks. "No?"

Elmer (13) nodded. He was sat against the wall, on the floor. His knees were against his chest, his hospital bracelet on his wrist, a hospital gown on his body, and his eyes red from crying. "No. Don't come near me."

The doctor sighed, still holding the needle. "Elmer, you need to have an IV in," he told him. "You were severely dehydrated when they found you and we need to keep an eye on your vitals."

"I don't care." Elmer shook his head, eyeing the needle in the doctor's hand. "You're not bringing that close to me."

"Elmer," the doctor sighed, "I don't like intruding on your personal space, or forcing you to do stuff, but you need to have an IV in." He was clearly pretty tired.

Elmer nuzzled his head in his arms. "Elmer has left the building. Please call again soon," he mumbled, his voice muffled.

The doctor sighed. He sat down on the floor in front of Elmer. "Elmer, I've known you since you were in your mother's stomach," he reminded him. "I'm being lenient because I know you, but you need an IV in," he stressed. "Is there someone who could help you? Should I grab one of your siblings?" he questioned.

Elmer looked up a bit. He was silent for a moment. "Buttons," he whispered finally.

The doctor nodded. He got up and went to the door, opening it and sticking his head out. "Is someone named "Buttons" out here?"

Elmer blocked out the rest of the conversation, zoning out until he saw familiar shoes.

Rainbow shoes, with little patterns sewn into them.

Elmer's eyes lit up. "Buttons!" He looked up.

Buttons (14) looked really worried, though slightly relieved. "El, oh my gosh. I got so worried when I found out," he said, sitting down next to Elmer. He looked over him, searching for his injuries.

Elmer frowned when he noticed. He slowly turned his head around, revealing a large spot on the back that had blood all over it and slowly dripping down the back of his neck.

Buttons gasped. "Elmer! Did you take off the bandages?" he asked, his eyes wide.

The doctor turned around from his cart and back to them, his eyes wide. "Elmer Kasprzak! You did what?!"

Elmer cringed a bit. He looked up at the doctor with a pout. "They were uncomfortable..." he mumbled, defending himself a little bit.

"Nope." The doctor instantly shook his head. "That's where I draw the line. We're putting the IV in and putting bandages on," he decided, quickly grabbing something to call a few more nurses in.

Elmer's eyes widened. "No! No! Please!" He quickly tried to get up, struggling due to the pain in the back of his head. "I don't want to do that!"