Chapter 10 - Spralmer (Spot x Race x Albert x Elmer) Jack/Race Brotherly Fluff

- Chapter 10 - "I'll Always Be There for You" -
Warning: Abuse, Angst
Canon Era
Third Person POV

"You know what? Get out!" George Higgins, Race's father, yells at Race, throwing one of his beer bottles at Race. The bottles lands/smash's against Race's shoulder.

Race had tears streaming down his face. He did everything he could for his father to be proud of him, but in the end, his father was always drunk and angry.

It had been this way since his mother had died when he was 6. He's 13 now.

He worked as a Newsie, but never stayed at the Lodge. He had never had enough money to stay there, so he was forced to stay with his father.

His father was abusive. He was always drinking and betting Race's money away, much to Race's annoyance, but Race put up with him because he was giving Race a place to sleep.

Race had now broke the news to his father that he was BI and dating. Not dating one person, but three. He loved them, but his father didn't accept him. He should've known.

Now, he runs out of the house, nowhere to go. Maybe I could go to the Lodge? No. I don't have enough money.

Maybe Spot, Albert, or Elmer could help me? They might, but I don't want to burden them.

Race walks along the empty streets of Manhattan. He'd never noticed how dark they are at night, and it didn't help that it's January, and freezing!

The only things Race had with him were his cards. He loved them. When his father wasn't abusive and his mother was still alive, his father had bought them for him, and he treasured them.

His father had taught Race how to play cards when Race was younger, and Race had been really good, still is.

Flashback

"Padre! Will you teach me how to play like you and Mr. Jimmy do?" Young Race, Anthony, asks, running up to his father and mother, who were sitting on the couch together, with his cards in his hands.

His mother and father chuckle.
"Sure Tony."

Race sits on the floor across from his father, as his father passes out the cards, starting to explain the rules.

His mother smiles at them, happy to see them happy, as Race puts down his cards.

"Like this?" He asks, innocently. His father's jaw drops as his mother chuckles.

"Little smartie" His father states, ruffling Race's hair. Race grins as his father picks up the cards to shuffle them.

"Again?" Race asks, and his father nods, starting to pass out the cards.

End of flashback

That was when everything was okay. Race wipes tears off of his face with his sleeve.

He was only wearing his regular selling clothes, which was his button down shirt, his undershirt, his pants, hat, socks, and boots.