007 - The Flea and the Acrobat

The four were now in Mike's basement, talking while El was laying in the couch

"What was Will saying?" Mike asks standing up from his seat. "Like home... Like home... but, dark?"

"And empty." Dustin adds, sitting on the bottom of the stairs. "Empty and cold... Wait, did he say cold?"

"I don't know." Lucas sighs. "The stupid radio kept going in and out."

"Its like riddles in the dark." Dustin looks up at the ceiling.

"Like home..." Mike repeats. "Like his house?"

"Or maybe like Hawkins!" Lucas points his finger.

"Upside down." El quietly says.

"What'd she say?" Lucas furrows his eyebrows.

"Upside down..." Alex stands up from besides El.

"What?"

"Upside down!" She walks over to the table where the DnD board was placed upside down, the three boys following her.

"When El showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over, remember?" The girl says, flipping the board to its front side, and then flipping it back upside down. "Upside down. Dark. Empty." She looks at the three.

"Do you understand what she's talking about?" Lucas asks Dustin and Mike.

"Nope." Dustin shakes his head.

"Guys, come on, just think about it." Alex says. "When El took us to find Will, she took us to his house, right?"

"Yeah." Lucas looks at the brunette. "And he wasn't there."

"But what if he was there? What if we just couldn't see him? What if he was on the other side?" Alex looks at Lucas, then Dustin, then Mike. "What if, this is Hawkins and..." Alex flips the board to its front side again. "This is where Will was?" She flips the board upside down.

"The Upside Down..." Mike realizes smiling at the girls smartness.

"Like the Vale of Shadows!" Dustin looks at Alex, Alex nodding at him.

Dustin takes out his Dungeons and Dragons manual. "The Vale of Shadows, is a dimension that is a dark reflection or echo of our world. It is a place of decay and death. A plane out phase. A place of monsters." Dustin reads out. "It is right next to you and you don't even see it."