Chapter 49 "Forever"

Paul's POV.

I've never felt so nervous before. Today's John's girl 18th birthday party. We rented a house because we really wanted it to be a private thing, well not so private after all; Samantha invited all of her friends. We invited some close friends too, but it wasn't going to be one of those wild parties like the ones we used to throw a few years earlier.

"You nervous, huh?" John asked me as he offered me a drink.

"Is it too obvious?"

"Yeah, it is" He chuckled as he walked away leaving me drinking alone.

Ahhh there she is. Dancing not knowing I am proposing tonight at midnight. I know, I know. She can't get married at 16, but she can be engaged in the meantime. Still, I am a bit nervous. Everyone says why would she say no? I know she wouldn't, but you never know. I'm afraid she might freak out or something.

"Hey, Paul. Are you excited about tonight? Here, have a beer" George said as he gave me one more drink.

"Thank you, pal" I smiled. "I am. Very excited"

"Then what are you doing here isolated here in this corner? Party is over there" He joked as he pointed to Vicky and the other girls dancing.

"Just thinking, y'know? Things don't always turn the way they've supposed to" I said hesitantly before I sipped from my beer.

"Listen, Paulie" He put his hand on my shoulder. "Giving up on Vicky, and then getting over her was the hardest thing I had to do... and it was NOT for nothing, so don't ruin this! You've got this. She loves you!"

"Would you feel this way if you were in my shoes right now?"

"Probably" He shrugged. "But look at her... would you really need to be afraid that she wouldn't want to commit to spend the rest of her life with you? Anyone would die to marry Paul McCartney" He laughed as he proceeded to walk away, but then he stopped to turn around, and said one more thing "Oh, and add the fact that she ran away from home to be with you, AND had your baby. Yeah, it's nearly impossible that she might want to marry you" He joked before he made his way to dance with the girls.

I must be overthinking then.

"Paulie, what are you doing here by yourself? We miss you!" Vicky exclaimed as she approached me. She was a little out of breath because of all of the dancing.

"I just checked if Michelle was still sleeping in the bedroom. She's fine. Let's go dance" I smiled as I grabbed her hand to join the others.

"Paulie, I want to talk to you about something..." She got serious. "I know I chose the worst scenario to mention it, I mean, we were just about to dance for god's sake! But... I feel like I can't keep enjoying this party if I don't tell you" She spoke right in my eyes. As if she was preparing me for the worse.

Oh well. I knew it. I knew something was coming. I had a feeling.

"Oh... you want to talk now... here?"

"We should head to the balcony"

I've seen lots of movies when couples break up in balconies... no way. I bet someone told her I was going to propose, and she wants to stop me from embarrassing myself by being rejected in front of everyone.

"Paul?"

"...yes?"

"The balcony" She chuckled.

"Oh sure. Let's go" I took her hand again, and as we walked to the balcony, I could already feel my forehead sweating.

"Paulie..." She began "You know I love you, and I wouldn't do anything that could ever upset you, or make you doubt about being with me... right?" She spoke quietly.