eight

I stood before Worth, grinning down at him as he sat at the tables. He looked dejected from reality and has been ever since his party.

"Worth?" I say his name, and he looks at me. "I would like to ask you an amazing question. It's something I think you'll really like."

He doesn't even change his facial expression. Just no life in his eyes or anything. It was kind of disturbing since he always looked content and strong before. This is the first time where it looked like the time was getting to him.

Even though by technicality still...he's not supposed to really be here.

"What is that?" He says finally, still no life in his voice.

"Do you...?" I drift, and he waits for me to ask. Except...now I felt like now wasn't the time. "What's wrong?"

Worth's eyes softened on me, and I see him just rest his head on his arms on the table. Now I couldn't see his face like he was intentionally trying to hide it from me.

I remember in training...that when an inmate sees a family member they usually are reminded of what they are missing. That usually can set them back and mess with their flow. Is that what's happening here?

It didn't seem like he would be set back in such a way though when I was at the party. Despite how bitchy Micah was, I just can't imagine anyone being set back by someone like that... Except that is his older brother so...you never know.

"He gets to leave, and I'm stuck here. I was used to this and fine with this until I saw him and it just pisses me off." Worth sat up fast, his hand clenched as it hit the table hard. "What he says can just really anger a person, and he knows just how to hit where it hurts. Except he's like a father to me, I have to honor that. He's done a lot for me so..."

Worth chuckles, banging his hand on the table a couple more times before looking at me fully. He was grinning though, but it wasn't the same.

"What were you going to tell me? Is it the surprise I'm supposed to be looking forward to-?"

"You said once that you can roam freely around here and you're not charged yet, right?" I found myself interrupting him.

He frowns, nodding.

I end up tossing the trustee shirt over the counter, looking at the clock.

"My shift ends in a few minutes. When it does, come to me okay? Right when I exit out, follow right behind." I kind of...order of him.

He just looked at me now. His eyes lowering now as he smiled, only to nod.

I rush over to the counter as I put his trustee shirt in my bag of stuff. I'll give that to him when my plan goes into motion.

As I was waiting for the clock to tick faster somehow, I didn't hesitate once when I saw the other CO begin to come in. When I grabbed my things I saw Worth get up and walk towards me.

The female CO seemed to think he was going towards her as she began to greet him. Only for him to walk past her and I grin at him, the both of us just walking out together. 

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?!" She shouts in a panic, but I didn't stop. I actually walked right in front of Worth to make sure no one tried anything.

That's when I go into intake, going through the list of names by alphabetical order until I found Worth's bag of civilian clothes. When I turn around he was already right there, looking at me.

"Change into your old clothes. Just put your jail uniform into here and when we come back you can just switch out." I say simply.

Worth takes it, but not before letting his eyes linger on me a little bit. I see him remove his shirt, handing it to me and I look away awkwardly.