² thirty three

a few months later...
Nate .

"It's been a while."

I stood before Worth after what felt like...forever.

He looked well as he clearly seemed to have come from university, moving his book bag onto one shoulder. I watch his eyes look me up and down, but it wasn't in a sexually charged or strange way. It was almost as if to see if anything has changed with me.

The only thing that has changed for me...is the fact that I have a job now.

My dream job, to be exact.

"It has been." He walks past me, and I watch him set his bag on the table. "I know you...probably want to talk, but can we do that while I do some homework? I've been preparing for exams and I didn't think you'd ask to see me now so suddenly."

"That's fine, go ahead." I nod, rushing to the table as I sat beside him.

Worth took out his belongings and we weren't speaking. It was just...an air of awkwardness that I couldn't explain. Am I the one being awkward? Or is Worth intentionally trying to be as unspoken as possible?

"You were missed...don't think you weren't." I start right when he starts to do some of his things. "It was difficult for all of us...you being gone; but I think it was for the best. You settle your things on your own, and I settle mine. I'm just curious as to how...you handled your keep."

"My keep?"

I see him look up at me from his book, but when our eyes make eye contact I felt that same feeling that I once did before. That attraction...or am I just losing my mind? I could've sworn it was in his eyes too.

"I handled the case, settled even. Michael pled guilty, and will have to serve a year a half in prison and a year on probation. Not to mention he can never work for the police force again, so that's good." Worth chuckles, looking away from me as he nods at his work. "I've just been...catching up. I fell quite behind and I didn't want to repeat a semester, so I've been doing more assignments than the others. Except I like it, it distracted me.

"But what about you?"

I flinch, seeing him look up at me in wait.

I wasn't expecting him to ask me anything. My hand goes over my mouth to hide my smile of excitement, glancing off.

"I have my dream job, being an investigator. I've never been happier doing the job I love most. Your nephews are good, and Rue is growing beautifully. I sent you pictures, but you never responded."

"Would you have responded back if I did?" Worth asks me, not even looking at his homework anymore as he looks only at me.

I nodded without looking away from him, beginning to feel that same tension from before. For me, I know it's wrong because I was the one who sent him away. I am supposed to be the one who is the bigger person...or the one who is supposed to be calm in this situation.

I'm over here feeling things.

He'd cross my mind, of course, when he wasn't around. I didn't want to keep him out of the loop of anything when it came to Rue despite everything. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have responded to him, so I did lie. Except I can't tell him that.

I allowed myself...to accept this recommendation put out by my father. I don't regret putting it out there, but I feel like I'm the only one who is kind of...coming off strong. And when I do feel any ounce of something greater from him, I'm afraid I'm misinterpreting. I feel like he wouldn't be able to feel such strong things for me after what I did.