² twenty seven

Nate .

"You want your kids back?"

I look down at the kids supposed mother, seeing her holding a baby. I acutely remember Worth mentioning a third and her having 'moved on'; so what is this?

It doesn't look like she's moved on at all.

"What crazy and stupid ass shit did Micah tell you? There is no reason why my kids should've been taken from me and sent here." She snaps at him, and I instantly could possibly see why they weren't with her.

"They're with us, and there is no reason why you should be here. The system has done its job. If there is certain things you need to do to get them back, I'd keep doing that instead of showing up here unannounced-."

"Shut the fuck up." She snaps at me. "I was lied on because Micah knew I was done with his ass. I don't do no drugs or anything he claimed I do. I was framed just so that he could mess with me. He was the one that was an issue."

"They probably took them away then because you didn't remove them from such an environment. If you knew he was a horrible person and did such horrible things, it was then up to you to remove them from that environment. Even if you were framed, you still endangered them staying with him." Worth explains to her calmly.

I saw her roll her eyes at such a thing and then nodded down to her child in her arms.

"I stay with my grandparents. He's mad because I moved on and was gonna better my life for my kids. He chose this option because if my parents took custody, which was what I opted for, I'd make sure he never saw them again. I am...a good mother." Her lips tighten together and she steps back now. "Yeah, I endangered him staying with Micah for so long and not leaving, but I really thought he'd change."

I saw Worth glance over at me and I don't say anything.

For all we know, she could be lying. She could be making all of this up just to try and sneak her way in. Everyone in his life seems to be good at manipulating him.

"Even if that's the case, why would you risk showing up here and ruining your chances to ever have them be yours again?" I question her seriously. "They're sleeping. It's not appropriate... I can call the lady that brought them here and see what I can do, I'll even talk to your kids about you. Just...work with us. You can mess up a lot of things just coming here unannounced."

I see her nod slowly, pursing her lips at Worth as she seemed to look him up and down.

"You've grown up well. You probably don't know me, but I saw you a couple times in school. Micah did say nice things about you and talked about you here and there... Nothing worth mentioning though. I'm Delilah." Delilah grins at us, nodding down at her baby. "And this is Yasmin."

If she was going to leave...maybe I'd look at her differently. She doesn't seem bad, and she doesn't seem like she's trying anything. Maybe Micah was fucking with multiple peoples lives besides Worth's.

Her kids are her life. Just like Micah was once Worth's life, that's why he was willing to give his up for him.

What a horrible man. He's worse than I thought.

"It's nice meeting you Delilah, and Yasmin is so cute. Is she with...?"

"My parents have full-custody, but only until it is all situated. I know I came off really strong...but I didn't know if you'd be like Micah or not. Clearly...you're not." She smiles up at him as he grins back.

"I'm happy to hear that. I don't know how I'd feel if someone said we were smilier." He chuckles awkwardly, shaking his head in displeasure. "But like Nate said, we will look into things for you. It is risky you coming here unannounced... How did you find our address anyway?"

"Your mom." She frowns as if we should've known she was coming. "Florence said you knew I was coming."

"No...we didn't. He cut contact with her some time ago." I tell her in irritation.

I saw her look at us awkwardly, seeming worried for us now.

"I'm not lying, I promise-."

"I believe you." Worth interrupts her calmly, grabbing my arm as he pulls me back into the house and behind him. "Like we said, we will look into what we can. Get home safely and be safe."

"Thanks?"

He closes the door, and I saw how upset he looked. I was upset for him because now that woman is telling people we don't know our address.

It's just us living here, kids live here as well.

"She's crossing a fucking line." He snaps, shaking his head as he starts to rush up the stairs. "I just know she's gonna try something. I can feel it in my gut. If Micah was a vengeful son-of-a-bitch, she will be vengeful too. It must be a hereditary thing."

I follow him up and into our room, seeing him go on his phone as he started to go to call her.

"Wait!" I exclaim, seeing him look down at me like I was crazy for stopping him. "If you say something now, she might act out more. Wait a little-."

"Wait? You don't know what kind of world my family comes from. 'Waiting' is a chance for them to push it more and more. She's pushin' it because I pissed her off. She's pushin' it because she thinks I'm like you."

"Like me?" I raise my eyebrow at his way of wording and he didn't even spare me a glance as he seemed to be questioning if he should say anything. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"What do you think it means?" He looks at me and I had to stop myself from snapping at him. Because that could mean a lot of things...and it was nothing good, I don't think. "'Waiting' and seeing how far she'll take it. Not saying anything and maybe it'll get better. Trusting the system...I don't have that luxury. I either call her out now or she'll push it. Just like Micah did. HE pushed and pushed, and why was that?"

I don't say anything, seeing him sigh as he nudges shoulders with me.

"It's because I never called him out from the very start." Worth says more softly, beginning to call her. "I can't let them do this anymore. Not when I'm trying to better myself. I cut them out of my life for a reason."

I would be lying...if I said I wasn't proud of him. Taking the initiative when before, he had no initiative whatsoever. All of that drive and willpower was gone.

This is what I wanted to see...

___________________🥴

oh yes it is.

I will happily say...

don't worry.

Delilah is actually a good one.

since there's already so much bad. 🤡

- yolo