part two

one year later
***
Worth

I looked down at my belongings, trying to make sure I didn't forget anything.

For the major I majored in...I can't risk leaving or losing anything behind. If I want to become the perfect lawyer, I have to do everything perfectly.

As I put my stuff away once I was certain I had everything, I was about to walk away until I felt someone grab my arm. Turning around harshly, I looked down to see one of my classmates look at me warily.

Clearing my throat, I force a grin as I wondered what he wanted.

"My bad, you startled me, what's up?"

"You left your phone." He extended it out towards me and I gasp, grabbing it quickly.

It's funny because I was just going on about how I needed to not forget a thing. Then I'm over here forgetting the one thing I honestly need...in life!

"Thanks." I acknowledge him letting me know, about to turn away and walk off.

"I saw..." I heard him speak up, and I stopped as I look at him. "I saw a baby on your phone... I just was curious because some people were wondering about you and your situation."

I was aware that some people might recognize me considering my case against that jail facility became national news. I am also aware that not many know about Nate...or my daughter.

"Yeah...my boyfriend and I have a daughter," I gush, actually standing beside him as I go to my photo album, "Let me show you how perfect she is! Because, you know, these kind of happy stories don't usually turn out for people like me; but she...she is my happy story!"

I saw the guy look at them with me as I scrolled through. Smiling brightly, but my smile only became brighter when it was a picture of Nate and her.

"Is that...him?" He ends up asking, and I nod. "I-."

My phone begins to go off, and I see I was getting a call from him. I instantly walk away from that person as I answer and was already rushing through the university to leave.

"Nate!"

"Where are you? I got here early you know." I hear Nate tell me mischievously and I gasp.

"You...you came to get me today?" I start running now as I rush down the steps. As I'm running and about to make it out of the exit I stopped.

Already at a loss for words to see Nate sitting outside on one of the ledges. Holding in his arms was-.

"Rue..."

I say her name...my daughter's name as I stopped. Just looking at her from this point as she was asleep in his arms. He was unaware that I was even standing inside like this to begin with.

He probably thought I was being so slow...when I'm really just marveling at the two people I love most in the whole entire world.

That's when I rush out, coming from behind as I wrap my arms around his waist. He didn't flinch one bit, feeling him twist around. Now we both looked down at her and my lips tighten together.

"Did she eat already?"

"Of course, she wouldn't be sleeping if she hadn't. She has a big appetite, sometimes I wonder if she knows what it means to be full." Nate smiles at her, looking up at me now. "How was your class?"

"Good, as always. I learned some more about the lawyer basics, learned about some new laws that I never even knew were a thing. I still should probably memorize some of the amendments."

"Of course! Haven't you ever heard someone say 'I plead the fifth'? That comes from the fifth amendment." Nate grins at me, and I nod at such a thing.

I already learned about that, but it's the other more...less spoken about stuff I have to get better with. Even with me learning all of this stuff, there's still the bar exam.

There's still such a long time until then...but I think about it anyway. I thought about it as soon as I found out it's a thing. I can't get it out of my head...it's just that I don't want to fail at it is all.

Nate tells me not to worry about stuff that are far ahead on the future, but...I can't help myself.

Especially after the time I spent in that jail thinking I no longer had a future... All I can truly think about now, is my future. It's possible now, and I can't stop thinking about it.

"Not to be...that guy, but," Nate steps back, and I wait for him to say what I already know will be said, "Micah called me for some money, thinking he was calling you and he didn't know you were in school. Have you been giving him money?"

"Yeah...I have." I smile awkwardly, sighing as I stand up a little straighter. "You have to understand though. I was there for a couple of years and I know the food is shit. Why am I going to subject him to such horrible food, you know?"

Nate just looks at me blankly, and I just continue to smile awkwardly. He didn't falter one bit and I look around to see people were still all around.

"Well...can we talk about this in the car? This is not the place." I walk past Nate, going to the car as I hear him right behind me.

Once we got inside and I was able to put Rue in, I sat in the back intentionally to be beside her. I usually do this anyway, but this gives me more reason to sit beside her.

He...didn't know I was giving money to Micah. Now I feel like I'm in trouble for just helping my brother.

"I will not really touch much on the subject since I trust you, but I can wholeheartedly say that he deserves that slop. He didn't give you money, if I remember you saying that correctly. So...he can eat some of that shit." Nate says with no emotion in his voice.

I just kept my eyes trained on Rue, my finger caressing her soft cheek.

"Well, don't forget. Before Rue was born, he was eating the slop for quite some time. I just started giving him money only...about four months ago."

"Do you started giving him money two months before Rue was born?" Nate looked at me with narrowed eyes through the rear view mirror.

That's when I just look away, "Just because he was a horrible person to me doesn't mean I have to repeat the cycle. I'm better than that, and I have a daughter now. She is proof that I am more than my past, and I don't need to hold onto it with grudges. I have a future, our future... My past is my past, it's done. Now, Micah is bearing the consequences of his actions. He's being punished enough, I see no reason to add fuel to the rampant fire."

I look back at Nate, seeing him shake his head like what I said was the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard. But he didn't argue with me, because I knew he trusted my word.

"If you say so Worth..." Nate mutters, and I nod. "But there's still the truth of the matter. Are you going to-?"

"I haven't decided." I found myself interrupting him. "Sorry...I didn't mean to interrupt you."

"It's fine. Just wanted to see."

My eyes set on Rue, staying silent. I already knew...he wanted to know if I would testify against him.

The case file against Chief Michael is still happening and I am certain if charges are pressed, I will have many to say. Yet for some odd reason if I'd have to speak against my own brother...?

I don't think I'd be able to say a word.

_________________🫠

part two of the book shall start. 😮‍💨

in which, it'll be Worth's POV. 😌

soon enough. 🥴

though, welcome Rue! 🙇🏽‍♀️

vote, comment, follow~

- yolo 🫶