twelve

"I see you made Worth your trustee."

I look up to unfortunately hear Trevor's voice, coming upon a couple of other DART members. I already know they were looking for him because Worth was in the kitchen behind me.

He has to get other inmates chow in his pod and neighboring ones. I've taken it upon myself to be the watchful eye, obviously.

"Yeah, so what?" I say blankly, and he frowns. "I'm just saying. It's not that big of a deal."

"It isn't...I guess." Trevor suddenly was standing quite close to me, smirking up at me. His arm going around mine like we were friends. "Can we borrow him for a few moments. Celebrating his trusteeship being reinstated-."

"One, get the fuck off me, we aren't friends," I hiss, yanking my arm back and the other DART members looked at us awkwardly, "And he doesn't need you to celebrate for him or with him. None of that weird, unnecessary stuff. Just let him do his job instead of always trying to get in his pants."

"Says you." Trevor scoffs, and I snort. "You can't deny it because you've done it with him too-."

"I haven't actually. I've kissed him though since you clearly want to know so badly."

Right when I said that they all looked taken aback. I wasn't able to hear their stupid ass responses as Worth began to roll out the cart.

I see the trays on it and he was grinning at me, only for his grin to crack into disgust at the sight of Trevor. That clearly bothered him as he smiles forcefully.

"Congratulations on being trustee once again." Trevor congrats him. Worth just looks at him blankly and I could tell he wasn't having his bullshit. He probably could guess why them in particular would come to the kitchen area for inmates.

They literally are supposed to be checking pods, doing shakedowns, and controlling hectic situations. Instead, they're here...not doing their job.

Seeing how they act though, they're probably the worst workers on that task force. It's probably best they're not there.

"Worth we were thinking about throwing something for you to celebrate reinstatement. Are you up for it?" Trevor tells him as if I didn't already say something on the matter.

"I don't need a celebration for something as trivial as this. Any inmate can be trustee, why don't you throw celebrations for them too? I bet they'll really like it." He nods at me that he wanted to go and I follow behind him as he rolls the cart.

I look over at Trevor who showed evident irritation. His obvious irritation by how Worth reacted was one thing, but I could tell that they believed I had him acting that way.

No, and we aren't even anything. Why must his actions and us sharing a kiss be attributed to anything? It could've been...but I'm still not fully trusting of him just yet.

"Nate."

I look up, seeing Worth at our cell block. I put the code in and he goes in to serve everyone their trays. Me standing right behind to make sure all of them were given accordingly, but I began to realize.

All of the trays were excessively filled with food. My eyes narrow on Worth because I know he probably had the kitchen workers participating. I...can't be mad at him trying to feed people.

I will pretend to be none the wiser.

"Officer Nate."

I recognize Matthew's voice, seeing him walk over towards me. I let him stand beside me as Worth continues to give trays to other inmates.