twenty seven

"Are you sure, I'm just asking one more time."

I stood before Worth as he finally was the one in Micah's position. Visiting instead of being visited. He smiled, nodding with way more certainty than I thought he would at this point.

"I'm certain. So certain to the point that it's kind of disturbing. You'd think someone would want to avoid someone like that and be content with no answers. As long as they're not in their life, they're fine. I'm fine...I just want to hear his piece if he's willing to say anything. I did see him crack a little bit when I was released and I cried. He's always trying to act tough because our parents weren't there, but I know him enough. It's just a facade." He sighs, sitting at the chair now.

I don't know why he's so confident in how much he knew Micah. Because in my opinion, it didn't really matter how much he thought he knew him.

Micah just wasn't a good person all round. What's to think you know? Does it really matter when it comes to a person such as that?

"At least I'm here and will call him out on his bull." I say firmly, sitting beside him now. "You think he'll try anything?"

"He's my brother," Worth chuckles, only to soon nod with no expression, "Yes, yes he will."

When I look over at the others visiting their family members, they looked happy. There wasn't any animosity and no hard feelings. They didn't send their loved one in to suffer for their mistakes. That's the difference that keeps them loving one another and visiting.

For Micah, what's to...be happy about when it comes to seeing him?

Suddenly the door opens, and we see Micah walk out in cuffs. He looked surprised to see me, but more surprised to see Worth. At least he wasn't glaring or trying to act a certain way.

He just sat before us now as an officer walked out now. It just being us with him.

Now there was silence between them both. Neither were talking despite looking at one another. It was like they didn't need to necessarily speak at the moment.

Except I know his visit runs on time.

Micah even kinda looked like shit. Like he was just not handling it well in there. I can only imagine how it was for Worth when he first entered in at seventeen...

So I feel no pity for him.

"How are you doing in here so far?" Worth ends up asking him, and I saw Micah look at him as if that was a dumb question. "You don't want to answer?"

"I feel like shit, what else am I supposed to be feeling? I have nothing good to say about this shithole and people here are just as shitty. You've made your mark here and none of them..." He stops, his lips tightening together as he glared at him. "Did you tell them why you were in there?"

Worth shook his head no, looking almost offended that he'd ask that question.

"Why?"

"Because they all have it out for me."

"Probably because they saw how you treated him." I speak up finally, causing Micah to move his glare onto me. "You can look at me crazy all you want, but you know it's true. They won't just respect you because you're related to him. You should've known better if you came in here thinking that was enough."

Micah just looks at me, only to soon scoff as he looked down.

"Micah just talk to me. I've been in this jail for three years. You don't have anything to say to me?" Worth asks him who just looks back up at him. "You just got here and have barely been here for a month. How do you think it was for me when I entered in and wasn't even an adult yet? You're an adult, you finished school - I have to resort to a GED. When I could've had my school diploma. I missed out on lots of things because of your selfishness. Say something, anything about it."